Newark on Trent
"Newark-Upon-Trent is an ancient and well-built market town, borough and parish, pleasantly situated in the middle of a fertile district, at the junction of the Great North Road with the turnpikes from Lincoln, Nottingham, Sheffield &c., and on the lines of the Great Northern and Midland Railways, both of which have neat and convenient stations. It is 124 miles north by west of London, 8 miles east of Southwell, 21 miles north-east by east of Nottingham, 20 miles south-south-wast of Retford, and 16 miles south-west of Lincoln, and is the capital of the hundred and deanery to which it gives name. In 1851 it contained 11,330 inhabitants and 2,080 acres of land.
The trade of the town consists principally in making malt, ale, flour, linen and smock frocks, to a considerable extent. There are in the town and neighbourhood several breweries, 20 corn mills, and a considerable number of malt kilns, and an extensive linen manufactory (Hawton Mills), where fine linen is bleached after the irish manner. The malt made in 1851 amounted to 88,065 quarters."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
- The Newark Cemetery was formed in 1856 on the London Road. It was enlarged in 1878 and again in 1901. It had two mortuary chapels and covered about 17 acres by 1912.
- The Great War Bulletin for November 23rd, 1914 tells us that the half-dead, decayed and cracked trees by the cemetery entrance were to be removed.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of one of the Newark Cemetery lanes on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2012.
- Richard CROFT also has a photograph of a Cemetery chapel on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2012. The chapels are no longer used for mortuary services.
- The Cemetery is managed by a burial board of the Newark Corporation.
- The parish was in the Newark sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 868 1851 H.O. 107 / 2137 1861 R.G. 9 / 2478 - 2480 1871 R.G. 10 / 3542 1881 R.G. 11 / 3376 1891 R.G. 12 / 2713 & 2714
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene.
- The church was built in the 15th century.
- The church was restored in 1855.
- The church seats 1,700.
- The parish was also served by the Anglican church of Christ Church in Lombard Street, which opened in 1846 and its ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1847.
- Saint Leonard's at North Gate ecclesiastical parish was formed from St. Mary Magdalene in March 1873. The church was erected near the site of the older church of the same name.
- Saint Leonard's seats 600.
- Saint Augustine's is a Mission Room of St. Mary Magdalene, erected in 1886.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1600.
- The Anglican church register for St. Leanard's dates from 1873.
- The Anglican church was in the rural deanery of Newark.
- The Catholic Church was on Parliament Street and dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
- The Baptist Chapel was on Albert Street and the original 1737 chapel was rebuilt in 1875.
- The Particular Baptist Chapel was on Victoria Street.
- The Congregational Chapel was on Lombard Street, erected in 1826.
- The Newark Great War Bulletin for October 18th, 1915 tells us that the Congregationalist Church on Lombard Street held an annual three-day bazaar and raised £113 14s and 8d to keep church finances in good condition.
- The Methodist New Connexion Meeting Hall was at Barnby Gate.
- The Primitive Methodist chapel was on Parliament Street and was rebuilt in 1878.
- The Wesleyan Methodist chapels were at Barnby Gate and North Gate.
- The Unitarian chapel was on King's Road and was rebuilt in 1884.
- For those interested in more detail on various places of worship, check out Jim Fisher's website.
- Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Newark sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
Newark is a municipality, a township, a market town and a parish. It sits on the Trent River, 15 miles south-west of the city of Lincoln in neighboring Lincolnshire, 17 miles north-east of Nottingham and 124 miles north of London by road. The parish covers 1,889 acres, but the Municipality is much larger than that.
If you are planning a visit:
- Check out the town at Jimella's site.
- Newark was once a rail hub for passenger service, but the number of trains and railroads has diminished in the last 70 years.
- By automobile, take the A46 trunk road southwest out of Lincoln or take the A1 northwest out of Grantham.
- Bob DANYLEC has a photograph of the Newark Arcade on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2006. Obviously he'd like to see more tourists there..
- We have an extract from White's 1853 Directory relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newark on Trent to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Newark on Trent has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The British tribe that lived here was the Corelitauvi (formerly called the Coritani). They occupied the area of the East Midlands in a loose federation. The Iceni tribe was to the south-west.
- The Romans maintained a station here for some centuries. They called it "Sidnacester".
- When the Viking destroyed the old town, the name of "New Work" was given to the place erected on its site.
- It is thought that Egbert, King of the West Saxons, built the castle here and called this place the "Key of the North."
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of Newark Castle on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2013.
- King John died in Newark Castle on 19 October 1216.
- The Newark Great War Bulletin for August 17, 1914 tells us that young Henry GAINSLEY drowned in the Trent while playing Hide and seek with his brother.
- The Newark Great War Bulletin for June 14th, 1915 tells us that the St. Barnabas Girls' Home in Newark was celebrating its 21st year of operation.
- The Newark Great War Bulletin for August 9th, 1915 tells us that Ellen Martha HENSE was sentenced to hard labour for 6 months as an "alien enemy." It seems that Ellen had been following the military camps without a proper travel permit.
- The Newark Great War Bulletin for October 11th, 1915 tells us that Monsieur and Madame Martin Francis TOTE, Belgian refugees living in the Middlegate area of Newark, had a son named Adrian Albert Martin TOTE, born on the 9th of October.
- The Newark Great War Bulletin for November 29th, 1915 tells us that Newark's Town Hall caught fire the week before and that quick action by the care-taker, Dennis Gabbitas PEET, kept the fire under control until the Fire Brigade could put out the flames.
- The Ram Hotel on the Great North Road was a popular spot for travelers passing through Newark.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for November 29h, 1915 tells us that Louise SHAW, a soldier's widow of 22 Lindum Street, Newark, was sent to prison for two months, with hard labour, by the Borough Magistrates for neglecting her four children.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK798538 (Lat/Lon: 53.075878, -0.809555), Newark on Trent which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Town and District Hospital, established in 1813 and rebuilt in 1881 on the London Road, had 33 beds.
- In 1912 a children's ward was added with 8 beds.
- It is unknown what patient records may exist in the Archives office. Hospitals were not required to archive patient records. Administrative and Financial records are archived, as are some photographs.
- J. HANNAN-BRIGGS has a photograph of the present Newark Hospital on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
- The Barnby Road TB (Isolation) Hospital was built in the 1906 (technically in Balderton). The property was sold in 1953.
Newark has a Memorial for the Boer War volunteers (1899 - 1902). It was unveiled in late May, 1915 and in the loggia of the Town Hall.
In 1904, the 4th Battalion pf the Royal Sherwood Foresters was headquartered here on Hawton Street. Lt.-Col. G. A. E. WILKINSON, DSO, Commanding; R. BRITTAN, DSO, and C. DIDHAM, majors.
In 1912, Newark was the head quarters of the 4th Battalion (Reserve) of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts Militia). The Territorial Force stationed in the town was A Squadron of the Nottingham Yeomanry and the B Company of the 4th Battalion Sherwood Foresters.
At the start of WWI, some people were interned if they were in the wrong country at the wrong time. Walter STANGER was a 43-year-old ship's stoker in the Royal Navy, left behind in the failed attempt to block German intrusion into Antwerp. He was interned in the great internment camp at Kroningen in Holland.
Local volunteers were lucky enough prior to World War One to drill with real, functional weapons. Most other volunteer units often had to use wooden rifles for drill and practice, but the Sherwood Foresters had rifles, shotguns and carbines donated by local farmers and gentry. The use of real weapons made them more effective when they went into battle.
The Great War Bulletin for August 10, 1914 tells us that the young men were lining up to face the enemies, and that local men had "captured" 30 German miners at Harworth.
The Great War Bulletin for December 7, 1914 tells us that:
"MISS STELLA FREEMAN reluctantly returned home on Saturday to her parents at The Chilterns, The Park, Newark, after working for two years in the American Embassy in Hamburg. The 26-year-old said that she left only because the German Government insisted on the removal of all allies who had not been interned; and she wished she had had a more adventurous journey home! Her father, James Rogers Freeman, aged 58, is also a Civil Servant: he is a Customs and Excise supervisor."
Newark contributed to the Great War effort in a number of ways. A local company, Ransome’s Stanley Works, began making ball bearings for airplane engines and other military equipment and were recognized for the fine quality of the bearings they produced. The Great War Bulletin for May 10th, 1915 includes a photograph of the bearing shop.
Newark was also one of the Deport cities and training centers for the Royal Engineers. Alas, the enlisted men had to camp in tents on the Sconce Hills (on the western edge of Newark) and were often cold and damp. Newark officials negotiated a contract with the War Department to be paid for the temporary use of the area. The Great War Bulletin for May 24th, 1915 has a £2. per week quoted in the headline, but the article tells us it was £2 1s and 8p per month.
- The Great War Bulletin for December 7, 1914 tells us that two men of West Newark, W. W. STEVENS and H. H. BUTT, had been appointed as "Special Constables" to assist the police force in the event of a German invasion.
- In June, 1915, the town council forbade married men from enlisting. They insisted that single men should be the first to enlist, regardless of occupation.
- Trevor RICKARD has a photograph of the Polish servicemen cemetery portion of Newark Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2012.
- In December, 1915, the town council funded six baths with hot and cold running water to be used by Royal Engineers who were training in building bridges and digging networks of trenches. The town council owned the building in Queen's Road and planned to use the structure and baths for the working poor after the war.
- David DIXON has a photograph of the Warsaw Air Bridge Memorial at Newark Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.
- David DIXON also has a photograph of the Polish War Memorial in Newark Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.
- David DIXON has a photograph of the World War I Memorial in Newark Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013. This is also called the Cross of Sacrifice.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for September 28, 1914 tells us that:
"Drummer Rowland James BAKER, aged 22, from Albert Street died in hospital in Luton of blood poisoning. He was determined to avoid being sent back home for a blister from marching, so he did not report for medical attention until his pain became unbearable."
The Newark Great War Bulletin for October 12, 1914 tells us that:
Trooper William McLEOD, aged 22, of the 14th Hussars had died of wounds received in the Battle of the Aisne. He was the youngtest son of the widow Sarah Ann McLEOD. Also, Thomas BOWERS of Eldon Place had died while guarding the tubular bridge over the Trent River. He had been hit by an express train. Thomas was 43 years old.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for December 28, 1914 tells us that:
"THERE was only Christmas anguish for Henry and wife Mary Ann TACEY of 102 Northgate, Newark, who have five sons fighting in the British forces around the world. They received a letter from one of them, Fred, on the morning of Christmas Eve to say he was wounded and a prisoner in Germany. They already knew he had been shot through both thighs during the Battle for Mons at the outset of this conflict."
Henry TACEY, above, was born in Saxilby, LIN, in 1849. Fred was born in Newark, and his mother was born in Dunston, LIN.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for January 4th, 1915 tells us that:
"Mrs. Annie KIRK of 167 Barnbygate received a letter over Christmas from her 21-year-old son Arthur, an Ordinary Seaman on HMS Glasgow, It was dated 8 November and addressed to both Annie and her husband Herbert Joseph, a boiler man in a maltster’s brewhouse.
“I am still alive and quite all right in every way.“
"No doubt before you receive this letter you will have read about the engagement we had in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Chili (Chile) and have been a bit anxious to hear whether I was all right or not.“
"I am very sorry to say that we lost the fight but we were not disgraced, thank God as we fought superior ships and were out-numbered by five to three – the Good Hope, Monmouth and Glasgow – and we are the only one left to tell the tale. When we look back on it, it seems a miracle that we were not blown to smithereens as when the other two ships went down, all the five German boats concentrated their fire on the good old Glasgow, and we owe our salvation to our speed, which enabled us to leave the enemy ships behind when they chased us.“
"All aboard our ship wept like children, and the Captain also, when we fell-in next morning to read prayers."
The Newark Great War Bulletin for January 18, 1915 tells us that William Sergeant GOY ("Sergeant" is his middle name), aged 22, of the Royal Flying Corps was promoted to First-Class Airman Mechanic only two months after joining the Corps.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for June 7th, 1915 tells us that private John William SHAW of the 5th Btln. Lincolnshire Regt. was granted compassionate leave from the front lines to come home to Newark and to tend to his sick wife and their five children. However, once here he caught double pneumonia and died. His wife Louise was well enough to lead the mourners at his funeral.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for June 14th, 1915 reveals that another Royal Engineer trainee, driver Joseph Henry NEVINS, drowned in the River Trent. Also reported was the death of stoker first-class Samuel ASMAN, age 28. He was the son of Richard (deceased) and Mary ASHMAN. The death of private Alfred JOYNES who died at Gallipoli while serving in the Royal Marine Light Infantry was also reported.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for June 28th, 1915 tells us that Mr. and Mrs. Harry REVELL lost their son Robert, age 28, of the 1st Btln. Border Regt. while fighting in Turkey. They will lose another son, Harold, in 1917.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for August 2nd, 1915 reveals that another Royal Engineer sapper's body, Dennis MURPHY, age 36, was recovered from the River Trent.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for August 16th, 1915 reveals that these men from Newark were being held in Germany's Doeberitz POW Camp:
- pte. E. BULLARD
- pte. A. STEVENSON
- pte. George E. WHITE
The August 16th Bulletin also tells that the following men of Newark were recent casualties:
- Lieut. Hector Wilson RIDLEY, age 23, 2nd Sherwood Foresters (his name is also given as William Hector Mather RIDLEY)
- Private Frank WALSTER, age 23, 8th Sherwood Foresters.
- Private Herbert MOORE, age 22.
- Private Robert HUCKERBY, age 19, 8th Sherwood Foresters.
- Private Thomas Frederick GUMSLEY, age 19, 8th Sherwood Foresters.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for September 6th, 1915 tells us that Flight Sergeant Edwin Cecil RUMFORD of Southwell, serving in the Royal Flying Corps was recognized for his bravery and awarded the St. George Medal, 2nd class, by the Tsar of Russia.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for September 13th, 1915 tells us that Royal Engineer corporal Alexander SMITH had committed suicide the week before. He had been rejected as "unfit" for front-line service. Another sapper, William COMYN, age 45, had also died from double pneumonia.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for September 27th, 1915 tells us that private William Thomas MARSHALL, a father of 7, had died of shrapnel wounds to his head and neck after a fortnight in an Australian Hospital at Wimereux, France.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for October 11th, 1915 tells us that Lance Corporal Charles Edgar HARRISON had died in battle on October 5th. He was the husband of Eleanor A. HARRISON and had been serving with the 1/8th Btln. of the Sherwood Foresters.
The edition above also advises that private Harry KILLINGLEY of the 9th Btln. Sherwood Foresters was alive and well in spite of earlier reports that he had died in action. His mother rushed to tell Harry;s brother and sister and his workmates that he was alive and well. However, that Bulletin also told of two local men who had died: Alfred Charles DENCH of Newark and Arthur STARR of North Collingham.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for October 18th, 1915 tells us that 17-year-old Private William COBB of 14 Victoria Gardens, Newark, was in Wharncliffe Hospital, Sheffield, with a gunshot wound in the leg. There is no indication of how he persuaded the authorities he was old enough for combat.
That same edition tells us that Joseph WARRINER was at his home in 3 Norfolk Buildings, Parker Street, Newark, pondering which of his two sons was better off. William WARRINER, a 38-year-old father of four, was a Prisoner of War in a German camp, and his son Samuel WARRINER, a Lance Corporal in the Somerset Light Infantry, was wounded first at La Bassee and later at Ypres – and has returned to action hoping for a real case of ‘third time lucky’. Both sons would survive the war.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for November 1st, 1915 tells us that 19-year-old Charles Sydney LAWRENCE was recovering at the 6th Base Hospital in Rouen and that he expected to be discharged soon.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for November 8th, 1915 tells us that 29-year-old Lance Corporal Frederick James LOWE had died from wounds. Both he and his wife Charlotte had been born in Newark, with two children born in Lincoln city and Charlotte will have a third child in Newark in April, 1916.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for November 15th, 1915 tells us that 23-year-old Archie ROBB had died from dysentery contracted in Gallipoli.
That same edition tells us that Boer-War veteran Albert SQUIRES plead guilty to desertion charges in Newark, for not returning to his unit, the 1st Btln., Scottish Rifles.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for November 29th, 1915 tells us that Second Lieutenant Sydney CARLIN had the Distinguished Conduct Medal pinned to his breast by Colonel ROTHERHAM RE. The award was for "conspicuous gallantry" at the 18 May 1915 Battle of Ypres.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for December 6th, 1915 tells us that:
- Private Cyril Sydney HARRISON, 19, was killed during the Battle of Loos in September.
- Private Horace Steemson WILKINSON, 21, who was an active member of the Church Lads’ Brigade, was also killed during the Battle of Loos.
- The Castle Rovers football team’s goalkeeper, Harold TAYLOR, 22, was in hospital in France with “a rather bad wound” in his side. He would survive his wounds and appear in the 1918 list of absent voters.
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 13 October, 1803, MARRIED:
"On Friday se'nnight, Mr. Paul JACKSON, of Newark, to Miss Sarah CRESWICK, daughter of Mr. James CRESWICK, paper manufacturer, of Sheffield."
Former Mayor of Newark, Dr. Harry STALLARD, served as a surgeon in World War One in a Field Hospital near the front lines in 1914 and 1915. He was in the Army Medical Corps, but was attached to the 8th Btln, Sherwood Foresters during his tour of duty.
Dr. STALLARD was promoted to Major ten years after being commissioned as Surgeon-Captain of the 8th Battalion Sherwood Foresters.
- This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the southern division of the ancient Newark Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
- You may contact the Newark Town Council regarding civic and political matters, but they are NOT funded to help you with family history searches.
- The Bede Houses were founded in 1556 and contained 9 aged men and 11 women in 1912.
- St. Leonard's Hospital is actually six almshouses erected in 1890 in Northgate.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Newark petty session hearings held twice each week at the Town Hall.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became the centre of the Newark Poor Law Union.
Year Population 1801 6,730 1841 10,220 1851 11,330 1871 12,187 1881 14,083 1891 14,571 1901 14,992
- The Grammar School at Appleton Gate was founded in the 13th century and endowed in 1529 by Thomas MAGNUS. It became a Secondary School under the Board of Education. In 2014 this would become the Magnus Church of England Academy.
- Christ Church School for Boys on Albert Street was built in 1843.
- Christ Church School for Girls (and infants) was on Portland Street.
- The Newark Borough School of Art and Science was in the London Road. It was a red brick structure with a stone portico. In 1912, it had about 200 students.
- In 1838, the Mount School (mixed & infants) opened. It was reconstructed in 1911.
- In 1854, the Portland School for girls & infants opened.
- In 1896, the Victoria Street Infants School (for 180 infants) was opened.
- In 1899, the Lovers' Lane School (mixed & infants) was opened.
- In 1910, the High School for Girls and Pupil Teachers was erected on the London Road.
- There was a Wesleyan School for 390 boys and girls and 350 infants here by 1911, but the date of construction is unkown.
- Holy Trinity Catholic School was on Parliament Street.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for November 1st, 1915 advises parents and students that the Newark Education Committee had put the Barnby Road School on a half-time schedule as well as the Lovers' Lane School due to the Royal Engineers taking over the two schools for their military use.