"North Collingham parish includes more than half of the village, and Potter Hill, a lofty tumulus on the borders of Lincolnshire, where many Roman relics have been found, and is very likely to have been a military station. It contains 935 inhabitants and 1,820 acres of land.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, stands near the centre of the village. It is a very ancient structure in the Norman style of architecture, and underwent considerable repairs in 1832, when a new pulpit and reading desk were put up. There is a good Sunday School attached. The vicarage is valued in the King's books at £8 14s 2d, now at £92, and has been augmented by Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. Charles Lesiter A.B. is the incumbent, and the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough are the patrons and appropriators, but they received land at the inclosure in lieu of tithes. The land belongs to several small owners, but the Earl of Stamford is lord of the manor. The Baptist church here has had several additions, and about eight years ago was enlarged with the addition of the vestry. near it is a school, endowed for the education of the poor children of both parishes, by William and Mary Hart, in 1699, and in 1718 with land now let for £30 per annum."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of The Churchyard on Geo-garph, taken in February, 2021.
- The parish was in the North Collingham sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1841||H.O. 107 / 862|
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2136|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2476|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3539|
|1881||R.G. 11 / 3373|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2711|
- The Anglican parish church in North Collingham is dedicated to All Saints.
- The Anglican parish church in South Collingham is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
- Some portions of All Saints Church appear to be of Saxon origin, but most of the church was constructed in the 13th century.
- The church was thoroughly restored in 1859.
- All Saints church seats 342.
- Graham HOGG has a photograph of All Saints church lych gate on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2016.
- Saint John's Church was built in 1120 - 1130, with a significant portion completed in 1350 -1360.
- An early church existed at Brough, but the stones from it were used to build St. John's Church.
- The All Saints Anglican parish register dates from 1571 and is in moderate condition.
- The All Saints Bishop's Transcripts cover 1600 - 1845.
- Saint John's Anglican parish register dates from 1558.
- Christine HASMAN has a photograph of the Church of St. John the Baptist on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2004.
- Phillimore's Nottingham Marriages, volume 19, covers up to 1837.
- Also, you can search the East Trent Genealogy site for church records.
- The churches were in the rural deanery of Collingham.
- The Baptists chapel was founded here in 1650.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here by 1881.
- The Family History Library in Salt Lake City also has the All Saints parish chest records for 1790 - 1868.
- The parish was in the North Collingham sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
- Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
Collingham is a village and a parish located on the banks of the River Fleet, not far from its junction with the River Trent. It lies 6 miles north-east of Newark-on-Trent, 12 miles south-west of the city of Lincoln and 130 miles north of the city of London.
South Collingham is a village and a former parish adjoining North Collingham. It includes the hamlets of Brough and Danethorpe
Brough was a Roman station of the Fossway. Its Latin name was "Crocolana".
If you are planning a visit:
- The village is on the A1133 just off the A46 trunk road.
- Collingham is served by trains of the East Midlands Train service.
- Bus service runs to and from Newark-on-Trent.
- We have an extract from White's 1853 Directory relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Collingham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which North Collingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Roman pottery has often been found in the parish.
- The remains of a 14th century market cross stand at the north end of the village.
- Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of that market cross on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2017.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the 14th century village cross surrounded by daisies on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2019.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of The Grey Horse on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2016.
- The parish was devastated by flooding in both 1795 and 1875. The 1795 flood was the highest in history.
- Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of The Old Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2011.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK831620 (Lat/Lon: 53.148669, -0.758933), North Collingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Two brothers from Collingham, John and William BACON, took part in the Charge of the Light Brigade (under the assumed name of BAKER) in October, 1854. William was killed, but John returned, later leaving the Army. Both are buried in North Collingham churchyard.
- A Company of the 2nd Notts Volunteer Rifles was stationed here in 1881 and had two shooting ranges. Captain Thomas C. S. WOOLLEY commanding; Robert DIXON was the drill instructor.
- B Company of the 8th Territorial Volunteer Battalion was stationed here in 1912 and had at least one shooting range.
- The Great War Bulletin for December 7, 1914 tells us that five men of North Collingham, J. T. SHARPE, A. W. BROADBERRY, Ezra WADDINGTON, Jolly BARGEMAN and J. R. ANTCLIFF. had been appointed as "Special Constables" to assist the police force in the event of a German invasion.
- Ezra WADDINGTON was a licensed victualler (1911 census) from Bradford, YKS. Alfred W. BROADBERRY was a joiner (1901 census) born in North Collingham.
- The War Memorial Cross in All Saints' churchyard was unveiled by Lt-Col. W COAPE-OATES DSO JP CC on Sunday 30 November 1919. There are 28 names listed on this memorial.
- Bertie WALTON (1897-1967) lived on Woodhill Road, North Collingham, and was hounded by the Newark Rural Tribunals for being a conscientious objector.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for January 18th, 1915 tells us that Albert POWELL (born in Newark circa 1882), a postman from North Collingham and husband to Florence (born in Madras, India) had written to his local clergyman, Charles Richmond POOLE, about the Christmas Truce experienced by the front-line troops.
There is a memorial window in All Saints Church for Thomas Letts BERRY, corporal, 1st Bn Sherwood Foresters, 13 Mar 1915.
These are the names listed on War Memorial cross in All Saints' churchyard:
- 2nd Liet. George ASHWORTH, Sherwood Foresters
- 2nd Liet. Leonard ASHWORTH, 13th Bn York and Lancs. Regt.
- lance corporal Thomas Henry BACON, 2nd Bn Lincs. Regt.
- rifleman John William BACON, 11th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps
- private Charles Henry BAGLEY, 20th Bn Manchester Regt.
- corporal Thomas Letts BERRY, 1st Bn Sherwood Foresters
- private Harry BLOW, 2nd Bn Royal Scots
- private George William BLUNDY, 4th Bn Yorkshire Regt.
- driver Arthur BROMPTON, 119th Bty Royal Field Artillery
- private Charles Alfred BUNN, 2nd Bn Royal Marines LI
- private Tom Dakin EAST, 10th Bn Sherwood Foresters
- corporal Fred EAST, 43rd Bn Canadian Infantry
- private Frank GOLLAND, 5th Bn West Riding Regt.
- lance corporal John William HARKER, 2/5th Bn Lincs Regt.
- sergeant Walter HILL, 'B' Bty 110th Bde Royal Field Artillery
- private Robert Stanley HUNT, 10th Bn Royal Warwicks Regt.
- nurse Elizabeth Alice HUNT, Military Hospital Margate
- private Frederick LYON, Machine Gun Corps
- private Harold MILLNS, 15th Bn West Yorkshire Regt.
- private Belton OLDHAM, 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters
- sergeant Harry SHELDON, 1/6th Bn Sherwood Foresters
- rifleman Arthur STARR, 7th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps
- private Joseph TAYLOR, 17th Lancers
- rifleman Frank THOMPSON, 17th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps
- private Frank WHITE, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
- private Arthur Ernest WILLIAMS, Army Veterinary Corps
- private Arthur Wynne WILLIAMS, 16th Bn Scottish Canadian Forces
- lance corporal Henry WRIGHT, 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters
There is a report of Thomas L. BERRY's death in the Newark Great War Bulletin for April 19th, 1915.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for April 19th, 1915 told of the death of Arthur STARR of North Collingham who had only married his wife Mary ASKEW last year.
The Newark Great War Bulletin for December 6th, 1915 mentions former color sergeant George HIND of North Collingham who was serving on the Newark Poorlaw Union Board of Guardians at the time.
- This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the northern division of the ancient Newark Wapentake (Hundred) in the eastern division of the county.
- In April, 1970, this Civil Parish and South Collingham Civil Parish were abolished and joined to create a single Collingham Civil Parish.
- You may contact the Collingham Parish Council regarding civic or political matters, but they are NOT funded to help you with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the Newark and Sherwood District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Newark petty session hearings every other Wednesday.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here around 1790.
- After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, the parish became part of the Newark Poor Law Union.
1801 508 539 1851 935 834 1871 979 756 1881 928 776 1891 875 705 1901 813 670 1911 784 -