White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
North Leverton Parish has 336 inhabitants and 1,513a 1r 12p of land, extending from Welham to Hablesthorpe, with which latter parish it is so connected that one church serves the both, and the common land of each was enclosed under one Act of Parliament passed in 1795, when an allotment of 149a 3r 18p was awarded to the Prebendary of North Leverton, in Southwell Collegiate Church, as a commutation of the appropriated tithes. and 79a 2r 13p to the vicar, in lieu of small tithes. G.S. Foljambe Esq. is lord of the manor and a small owner. William Mason Esq. is lessee of the prebendal land, and owner of a great part of the parish, which in the Domesday Book was called Legreton, and certified as a berne of the Archbishop of York's great soc of Laneham. Lord Middleton, Benjamin Walker Esq., the trustees of the late John Sharpe Esq., and others have estates in the parish.
North Leverton is a good village five miles east by north of Retford, but the houses at the east end of it are in Hablesthorpe parish. The Lincoln branch of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway passes through the parish, and has a small station about half a mile from the village. The church has a nave, side aisles, tower and three bells, and in 1847 was thoroughly cleaned, repaired and re-pewed, at a cost of about £400, a great portion of which was given by the vicar, including a new organ, also put up at his expense. It is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's books at £5, now £200, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Ripon. The Rev. Ives Bailey now enjoys the living, which has been augmented with Queen Anne's Bounty, with which 14 acres of land was purchased at Skegby. The parish participates in two of the charities noticed with Hablesthorpe, and the poor receive £2 10s yearly from William Mason Esq., as the interest of £50 left in 1745 by Abraham Colton, and they have also divided amongst them yearly £2 arising from the rent of the Poor's Close, consisting of 1a 3p allotted to them at the enclosure in 1795.
Hablesthorpe Parish includes the two hamlets of Hablesthorpe or Applesthorpe and Coates, and contains 103 inhabitants and 783a 2r 10p of land, extending from North Leverton to the Trent.
Hablesthorpe is situated 5½ miles east of Retford, and is so closely connected with North Leverton, that a stranger would suppose it to be part of that village and parish. It anciently had a chapel, of which no traces now remain, except a desecrated burial ground, which has not been used for the past 90 years. It has a non-resident vicar and a prebendary in York Cathedral. The vicarage was certified at £9 11s 8d, now at £81, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. john Mickle, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lincoln. At the enclosure in 1795 an allotment of 293a 0r 23p was awarded to the appropriator in lieu of the great tithes, and 31a 3r 31p (including the old glebe) to the vicar in lieu of the small tithes. A Wesleyan chapel was erected in the village in 1806.
Elizabeth Palmer in 1726 charged her estates at Coates with the payment of two annuities, viz £20 to the poor widows and orphans of Coates, and £30 to be divided betwixt the vicars of North Leverton and Hablesthorpe, as the parishioners attended the church at the former place, even in her time. In 1740, Elizabeth Bryan left £200, and directed 40s of the interest to be given to the poor of Hablesthorpe, and the residue to be divided amongst the poor relations of her brother Michael Bland, on the feast of St Michael. She also left a yearly rent charge of 40s out of a cottage, and 8a 2r of land in Coates (now belonging to George Motley Esq. of Worksop) to be distributed in weekly doles of bread every Sunday at North Leverton church, amongst the poor of Hablesthorpe. the vicars of North and South Leverton and Sturton are the trustees.
Coates, a small hamlet 2 miles east of Hablesthorpe, is all in this parish, except one cottage, which is claimed by North Leverton, and in which that parish places a poor widow, who partakes of Palmer's charity.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]