White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Norwell, Norwell Woodhouse, Willoughby and Carlton-on-Trent
Norwell Parish comprises the three townships of Norwell, Norwell Woodhouse, and Carlton-on-Trent, which together contain 957 inhabitants and about 3,991 acres of land, which was exonerated from tithe at the enclosure in 1826.
Norwell is a large village upon a declivity, 7 miles north-west by north of Newark, comprising within its township 599 inhabitants and 2,701a 1r 9p of land, of which its three prebendaries in Southwell Collegiate Church were lords and principal owners, and their lands are let to several lessees. The prebends were distinguished by the names of Norwell Overhall, Norwell Pallishall and Norwell Tertia. The first was said to be richer than any other possessed by the Chapter of Southwell, but these are lapsed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners of England.
The church, dedicated to St Lawrence, is a large ancient structure, with nave, chancel, aisles and tower with three bells. It was formerly in two vicarages, each valued at £4 12s 11d, but they are now consolidated, of the value of £336, and were in the patronage of the two prebendaries of Norwell Overhall and Norwell Tertia, but now in that of the Ecclesastical Commissioners. The Rev. Edward Chaplin is incumbent, for whom the Rev. Richard Chaplin M.A. officiates, and resides at the vicarage, near the church.
Anciently there were six halls in this parish, all moated round. In 1827, S.T. Sturtevant Esq. of London erected Preston Chapel, on the site of an ancient mansion called Preston Hall,, which he gave to the Methodists for a term of 21 years, but at the expiration of 16 years of that term he died, and in 1843 the Wesleyans purchased the chapel for £75. The school was endowed in 1727 by Thomas Sturtevant, with three acres of land at Holme, which has since been exchanged for six acres at Bathley, now let for £13 10s. Several benefactions to the school and poor were laid out in 1733, in the purchase of Well-fen-closes, at Claypool, in Lincolnshire, now let for £25 10s per annum. In 1782, Samuel Wood left £80 and directed 40s of the yearly interest to be given for the education of four poor boys, and the rest to the poor. The master received £34 per annum, with a house and a garden, for which he taught 14 boys and 14 girls. The vicar also pays him £5 a year, for the education of 4 children, viz: 2 from Norwell and 2 from Carlton. Out of the Claypool rents, £3 per annum is distributed in bread, at the church, to poor persons of the parish, every Sunday, and £1 10s a year, called Green's Dole, distributed to the poor, and 25s a year to five poor widows of the parish, to buy flax. The poor parishioners have the interest on £105, left by Mrs Margaret Sturtevant, and Leonard Esam, and the dividends of £230 4s 3d, three percent consols, purchased with the bequest of Mary Sturtevant in 1768, partly for clothing the free scholars.
Norwell Lodge, 1 mile west-north-west of the village, is a farm house on a commanding eminence, the residence of Mr William Clark, land valuer. Middlethorpe, 2½ miles south-west of Norwell, and in that township, is an estate of 184 acres, entirely encompassed by the parish of Caunton, and is the property of Mr George Doncaster, who has a commodious residence.
Willoughby is a hamlet in the township of Norwell, 1 mile north-east, which contains 643a 3r 24p of land. It forms a separate manor, of which Samuel Ellis Brestowe Esq. is lord of the manor, but John Vere Esq. of Carlton, Mr Samuel Curtis of Norwell, and others have estates here. The old manor house was taken down in 1785.
Carlton-on-Trent is a pleasant village, township, and chapelry, situated on the Great North Road 2 miles north-west of Norwell, and 7 miles north of Newark, and has a good inn. The township contains 231 inhabitants and 846 acres of land.John Vere Esq. is the principal owner and lord of the manor, and resides at carlton house, which was built in the last century, and was long the seat of Sir William Earle Welby, Bart. Mrs Hole and George Hutton Riddell Esq have estates and neat residences here.
The chapel, a small ancient building with a brick tower, and annexed to the vicarage of Norwell, was pulled down in 1850, and a new church, dedicated to St Mary, erected on the site thereof, which was consecrated on the 11th of June 1851. It is a neat stone building in the early middle pointed style, and consists of a chancel 32 by 15 feet, a nave 18 by 40 feet, aisles 40 by 5 feet, and a tower 18 feet square and 66 feet high, surmounted by 5 pinnacles, given by James Vere Esq. as also was the organ. There are 250 sittings, 100 of which are free. The font is of carved stone and was the gift of the late Mrs Hutton Riddell, and the communion service was presented by Mrs Hole. The total cost of the building was about £1,600, raised by subscription, towards which the Vere family contributed £600, Joseph Smith Esq. £50 and G.H. Riddell Esq. £50. It is expected, on the death of the present incumbent, it will be formed into a separate district.
In 1849, a new school was erected, and supported by John Vere Esq. It is a neat brick building. Carlton Steam Mill stands in Sutton parish. It was burnt down in 1831 and was soon rebuilt, but was again burnt down in February 1842 and was again rebuilt, and has an engine of 30 horse power. The Great Northern Railway Co. have a neat station, situated about 1½ miles from the village on the Ossington Road, from whence trains depart several times a day. Mr John Ellis is the station master.
Norwell Woodhouse is a township, and a small village of scattered houses, 2 miles west-north-west of Norwell. It contains 127 inhabitants and 44 acres of land, mostly copyhold, held now under the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Rev. Charles Eyre, William Barrow, J.E. Denison, Thomas Godfrey and S.E. Bristowe Esqs. are the principal owners and lessees of the township. The poor have the interest of £10.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]