Hide

Nottingham St George

hide
Hide

"St George's parish, is the southern-most of the city's parishes and covers The Meadows area just north of the River Trent."

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

Stephen RICHARDS has a photograph of the Wilford Grove Library on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2015. At last report (2022) this library was closed.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the St. Mary sub-district of the Nottingham Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 869 & 870
1851 H.O. 107 / 2131 thru 2133
1861 R.G. 9 / 2453 thru 2468
1871 R.G. 10 / 3507 thru 3526
1881 R.G. 11 / 3349 thru 3363
1891 R.G. 12 / 2683 & 2701
1911 R.G. 14 / 359
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint George.
     
  • The ecclesiastical parish was created in 1887, carved out of St. Saviour's in the Meadows.
     
  • The church is a Grade II structure by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
     
  • Although the church is still functional, the decline in local communicants has caused the church to close some mission rooms.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St. George's Church, built in 1863, on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2013.
     
  • The parish merged with that of St. John the Baptist's Church, Leenside, Nottingham when that church was demolished after damage during the Second World War.
     
  • Roger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of St. Saviour's Church, built in 1863, on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2013.
     
  • OXYMORON has a photograph of St Gabriel's Church, built around 1906, on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2008.
     
topup

Church Records

  • We have no information on parish records.
     
  • The Catholic Church of Our Lady and St. Patrick on the London Road was built and opened in 1880. This church seats about 600.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Our Lady and St. Patrick Catholic Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009.
     
  • Oxymoron has a photograph of the Full Gospel Revival Centre on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2008.
     
  • John SUTTON also has a photograph of St. Faith's Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2021. This is again, the Full Gospel Revival Center, but at a different time.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Castle sub-district of the Nottingham Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

This parish comprises the southern side of Nottingham city, often refered to as "The Meadows". Locals often pronouce the place as "Mudders".

The Trent Canal runs up the east side of the Meadows into the heart of the city to the north.

Glyn BAKER has a photograph of the Cattle Market Rd. Bridge on the Trent Canal on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.

All railway service to this part of Nottingham ended in 1967.

You can see pictures of Nottingham St George which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Nottingham St George has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

The "Meadows" were larger a Victorian suburb of Nottingham with many rowhouses and crescent apartment buildings built in the late 1800s. There were also factories and small mills in the are. The area was largely rebuilt in the 1960s and 1970s. Tramways were built to bring workers in from fringe areas to downtown Nottingham. The tramways were one of the reason so many places were demolished or changed.

John SUTTON provides a photograph of Crocus Street in this area on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2017.

John SUTTON also has a photograph of the old Gresham Works building on Geo-graph, taken in 1996, before it was demolished.

John SUTTON also has a photograph of the local NET tram pulling out of Nottingham station on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2016.

Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Meadows Lane Bridge (Bridge #1) on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2015.

John SUTTON also has a photograph of Kirkwhite Walk on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2015.

Nottingham holds a Riverside Festival in the Meadows, usually in August of each year. The three-day festival is a family event.

Stephen RICHARDS has a photograph of The Embankment, in London Road on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2015. This used to be a Boots shop and tea room, but is now a pub.

topup

Maps

  • The national grid reference is SK 5738.
     
  • You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
     
  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK570387 (Lat/Lon: 52.942672, -1.153239), Nottingham St George which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • A War Memorial Cross was dedicated in 1921 in the churchyard at St. George's church.
     
  • John SUTTON has a photograph of the War Memorial just outside the church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
     
  • A War Memorial is also located on the wall of the south aisle of St. George Church near the entrance to the vestry. It has an oak frame with the glass front divided into three sections enclosing written lists of the names of fallen on the two outer panels, with the centre panel inscribed with the name of the church and a drawing of St. George slaying the dragon.
     
  • There is a War Memorial structure on the edge of "The Embankment" that honors all the men and women of Nottingham who have served. There are no individuals names on the monument, but separate panels on the new Nottingham World War One Centenary Memorial display all the known casualties. John SUTTON has a photograph of the Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013.
topup

Military Records

Names from the War Memorials are listed at the Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project and at the Nottinghamshire War Memorial site.

These are the names from the Nottinghamshire War Memorial site:

  1. Andrew Allen
  2. Benjamin Allen
  3. John William Armstrong
  4. John Henry Ash
  5. Percy Astill
  6. Herbert Atkin
  7. Harry Bailey
  8. Frank Stephen Bakewell
  9. Harold Edwin Barber
  10. Harold Barker
  11. Percy Baxter
  12. Ferdinand Beckworth
  13. Harry Bee
  14. Charles Henry Bellamy
  15. Arthur Bentley
  16. Harry Bishop
  17. Frank Amos Bishop
  18. Howard Arthur Austin Bland
  19. James Ernest Bonser
  20. Frederick Bowler
  21. George Ernest Boyer
  22. William Henry Brooksbank
  23. Arthur William Cheetham
  24. William Henry Cherry
  25. Albert Cluroe
  26. Percy George Cook
  27. Ronald Richard Nelson Cooper
  28. Thomas Edward Cox
  29. Thomas Cragg
  30. Frederick Charles Crofts
  31. Percy Dixon
  32. Herbert Edwin Draper
  33. Richard Samuel Edwards
  34. Walter Egginton
  35. Ernest Emery
  36. Alfred Fell
  37. George Frederick Fenton
  38. William Foster
  39. Arthur Fox
  40. Arthur Garfoot
  41. Arthur Garner
  42. Thomas William Gibbins
  43. Herbert Glover
  44. Albert Knowles Greaves
  45. John William Guyler
  46. Henry Hall
  47. Arthur Hallam
  48. Joseph Hand
  49. George Arthur Hand
  50. Oliver Carlyle Hand
  51. Robert Handley
  52. Harry Hardy
  53. William Harrison
  54. Frank Hassall
  55. George Heap
  56. Albert Henley
  57. Herbert Henley
  58. Edwin Hirst
  59. Harold Walter Horton
  60. Sydney Humphreys
  61. Stanley Herbert Hurren
  62. Charles Richard Jackson
  63. Harold Johnson
  64. Francis George William Lancashire
  65. John William Lane
  66. C. Leonard
  67. Harry Flavill Littlewood
  68. David Love
  69. Arthur John Maltby
  70. Ernest George Mason
  71. William Cecil Mellson
  72. Arthur Thomas Moorcroft
  73. John Lawrence Leopold Moran
  74. George Arthur Morley
  75. Samuel Claude Morrell
  76. Joseph Mulvey
  77. Frederick William Nall
  78. John Albert Nall
  79. Stephen Naysmith
  80. Harold Newcomb
  81. Arthur Nicholson
  82. George James Nicholson
  83. John Thomas Nicholson
  84. A. Nicolas
  85. Frederick William Orgill
  86. John William Paice
  87. William Watson Parkin
  88. William Henry Patrick
  89. Robert Pierce
  90. Thomas Henry Pilgrim
  91. George William Potter
  92. Tom Proctor
  93. George Thomas Rawson
  94. Roland Rawson
  95. Arthur Rodgers
  96. William Rogers
  97. Albert Percy Rollson
  98. William Robert Rudge
  99. Henry Scrimshaw
  100. William Henry Scrimshaw
  101. Sidney Frederick Sewell
  102. William Alfred Sharpe
  103. William Henry Sheward
  104. Harry Shipman
  105. William Ewart Smedley
  106. Albert Edward Smith
  107. Allen Smith
  108. E. J. Smith
  109. J. Smith
  110. William Smithson
  111. Ernest Bertram Spencer
  112. William Cyril Stokes
  113. Harry Sunderland
  114. Joseph Henry Taylor
  115. Norman Albert Taylor
  116. Thomas William Theaker
  117. Richard Thorpe
  118. Harry Timson
  119. James Tunnicliffe
  120. Charles Edgar Woodhouse Turner
  121. Fred Twigger
  122. John William Twigger
  123. Robert George Wade
  124. Frederick W. Walker
  125. Isaac Walker
  126. Lawrence Waldron Walker
  127. Albert Ward
  128. Ernest Waterfield
  129. Thomas Edward Watson
  130. Sandall Webster
  131. Ronald Webster
  132. Walter West
  133. George Wheeldon
  134. John Henry White
  135. James William Whittle
  136. Wilfred Arthur Willis
  137. Alfred Owen Wilmot
  138. Philip Wilson
  139. E. Wood
  140. Charles William Woods
  141. Albert Edward Wright
  142. Ernest Wright
  143. George Edward Wright
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county.
     
  • This place was part of Nottingham incorporated as a modern Civil Parish in late 1897 when the town received its charter as a city that same year as part of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
     
  • You may contact the Nottingham City Council regarding political or civic matters, but they will NOT help you with family history searches. They are not funded for that.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
     
  • Plumptre (Alt. Plumtree) Hospital was a charity in Nottingham providing almshouse accommodation for 599 years from 1392 to 1991. Founded by John de Plumptre, Mayor of Nottingham, in 1392, it supported two priests and "thirteen poor women broken down of age and depressed of poverty". The hospital was rebuilt in 1823. Additional almshouses were built in Canal Street in 1956 (these were demolished around 2000). The building of 1823 was taken over by the Royal National Institute for the Blind in 2001.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Nottingham Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Schools

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Kings School on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009,

Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the former infants and junior school on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009,