Hide

Nottingham St Peter's

hide
Hide

"St. Peter's parish, the smallest of the three parishes of Nottingham, is encompassed by St Mary's and St Nicholas' parishes, and averages about 450 yards in length and 200 in breadth. It extends from Timber Hill, the Poultry and Bottle Lane, to the north bank of the Leen; and is bounded on the east by Sussex Street, Middle Hill, Middle Pavement, and the buildings behind Market Street and Fletchergate; and on the west by Greyfriargate, the Independent Chapel and friends' Meeting House, and the north end of Friar Lane. Its principal streets are Bridlesmithgate, Timber Hill and the Poultry. Its public edifices are the Parish Church and the Assembly Rooms.
The Church St Peter's Church stands upon the declivity which falls westward from Bridlesmithgate to the foot of Wheelergate, Houndsgate, and the Low Pavement. It is a Gothic structure with a tower at the west end, supporting a spire, and containing a peal of eight bells cast in 1771, and said to be the best attuned and the most melodious of any within many miles."
[White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

John SUTTON has a photograph of a portion of St. Mary's churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2017.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Castle sub-district of the Nottingham Registration District.
     
  • In 1891 the parish was reassigned to the Nottingham South West sub-district of the Nottingham Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 871
1851 H.O. 107 / 2133
1861 R.G. 9 / 2466 thru 2468
1871 R.G. 10 / 3523 thru 3532
1891 R.G. 12 / 2683 & 2701
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
     
  • This original Norman church was built here around 1100, but was destroyed by a fire.
     
  • The present church was first constructed in 1180.
     
  • This church tower and spire were completed in 1340.
     
  • The church was occupied by Royalist troops attacking Nottingham Castle during the English Civil War.
     
  • This church was restored during the period of 1876 - 1891.
     
  • In 1624 the parish paid for a new bell for the town crier and made note of the fact that they had paid for it to be cast and that it belonged to the parish.
     
  • There was more church restoration in the 1920s.
     
  • The church seats 800.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2012.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St. Peter's Church tower and spire on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2019.
     
  • For more information, see the St. Peter website.
     
topup

Church Records

The parish register dates from 1570 and is in good condition. The rectors were fined for not keeping the register before 1570.

Rita EFFNERT has kindly provided us with an index of Marriages for 1572 through 1813. The file is a Comma-Separated Value (or .csv) file, suitable for import into MS Excel or Works as a database:

There are some online resources as well:

  • The I.G.I. at the Family History Library includes many marriages for 1837 - 1877 on film 0095044.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Castle sub-district of the Nottingham Registration District.
     
  • In 1891 the parish was reassigned to the Nottingham South West sub-district of the Nottingham Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Nottingham St Peter's which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Nottingham St Peter's has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Nottingham changed rapidly in the 1820s with a flood of garment workers and frame-work knitters. The Narrow Marsh and the Broad Marsh (the latter in St Peter’s parish) became some of the worst slums in Europe, and suffered badly in the cholera epidemics of 1832 and later. A new burial ground opened in the Broad Marsh (the churchyard had been closed to new graves in 1856, and parts of it had been given up for road-widening), a church hall was built there and a variety of social clubs and other missionary activity was under way by 1900.

topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK573398 (Lat/Lon: 52.952527, -1.148582), Nottingham St Peter's which are provided by:

topup

Military History

John SUTTON has a photograph of the Boer War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2018.

There is a War Memorial inside the National Justice Museum. Alas, Basher EYRE's photograph of the memorial doesn't illuminate the names well enough for us to read.

John SUTTON has a photograph of the Robin Hood Battalions' war memorial on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2018.

topup

Military Records

Basher EYRE has a photograph of the memorial to 2nd Lt. Cecil Davey COOPER, A.C.A., who died in January 1918, on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2018.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county but did not became a modern Civil Parish until December, 1877.
     
  • This parish was incorporated as part of Nottingham City in late 1897 when the town received its charter as a city that same year as part of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
     
  • You may contact the Nottingham City Council regarding political or civic matters, but they will NOT help you with family history searches. They are not funded for that.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • St Peter's parish originally had a workhouse situated near St. Peter's church at the east end of Houndsgate. After this building was demolished, a new workhouse was built on the south side of Broad Marsh.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Nottingham Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 2,732
1841 5,605
1871 4,906
1881 4,387
1891 3,362