"Ordsall Parish comprises the lordship of Ordsall, on the west side of the Idle, and the lordship of Thrumpton, on the east side of that river. These lordships form one township, and contain 1,342 inhabitants, and 1,925 acres of rich, sandy land, part of which was not enclosed till 1804. The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire, and the Great Northern railways, pass through, and both of the stations are in this parish, the particulars of which will be found in the Directory of East Retford. Hops. Mr Young says, some years ago, two spirited agriculturists of this parish (Mr Mason and George Brown Esq.) drained, at a small expense, by open cuts, a deep black bog, which has been let for 3s per acre, and planted it with hops, in squares of six feet, and succeeded so well as actually to clear £62 per acre in one year.

The Church is au ancient Gothic edifice, with a lofty tower, which was greatly injured by lightning in 1823; the interior contained several old monuments, and was in a very decayed State till 1831, when it was repewed and thoroughly repaired, The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Lord Wharncliffe, and is valued in the king’s books at £19. 10s. 7½d. ; now at £470., and has 30 acres of glebe. The Rev. Thomas King, B.A., is the incumbent, and resides at tbe rectory house, a neat modern mansion; as also is Higgins House, the seat and property of John Walker, Esq. The Rev. Wm. Denman, in the reign of Queen Mary, was ejected from this rectory, but was restored again after Elizabeth ascended the throne. An instance occurred here in 1652, which shows the stringent principles of puritanic times. The Rump Parliament not only ejected Dr, Marmaduke Moor from this rectory, but also sequestrated his paternal estates "for treason, and for the heinous and damnable offence of playing at cards, three several times, with his own wife ! ! ”
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • The parish was in the East Retford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 851
1861 R.G. 9 / 2416
1871 R.G. 10 / 3455
1891 R.G. 12 / 2641

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Hallows.
  • The church's lofty tower was damaged by lightning in 1823.
  • The church was restored and repewed in 1831.
  • The church was closed for ten Sundays in 1831 to effect repairs to the structure.
  • The church was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1877-1878. The church was closed for a whole year this time.
  • The clock was added to the tower in 1906 and electrified in 1976.
  • The church seats 500.
  • B. HILTON has a photograph of All Hallows Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a fine photograph of All Hallows Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2015.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the church interior> on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2010.
  • Richard CROFT also has a photograph of the churchyard> on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2016.
  • St. Albans Chapel of Ease on the London road was opened and dedicated in June, 1903. It replaced an earlier smaller chapel. Construction of this new church wasn't completed until 1931.
  • St. Albans is now closed. St. Albans was destroyed by fire in August, 2008. Three teenage boys were arrested on arson charges, but I do not have information on their fate.

Church Records

  • The parish register dates from 1557 for marriages, 1558 for burials and baptisms.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Worksop.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the East Retford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

This village and parish is 138 miles north of London and 15 miles east of Worksop. The parish is intersected by the Chesterfield Canal. The parish covered 1,989 acres and included the hamlet of Whitehouses and the township of Thrumpton.

The village is enveloped by East Retford. If you are planning a visit:

  • Take the B6079 arterial east out of Worksop or the A1 motorway north out of Newark.
You can see pictures of Ordsall which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Ordsall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The Parish Hall was erected in 1903 in Holly Road close by St. Alban's Mission Church.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK697799 (Lat/Lon: 53.31146, -0.955344), Ordsall which are provided by:


Military History

The War Memorial in the churchyard honors the fallen from both World Wars. On October 16th 1949, the same day that the War Memorial window was dedicated, a new Garden of Remembrance was dedicated. In 1951 the temporary memorial was replaced by a grey granite Celtic Cross, quarried and carved in Cornwall.

There are 13 Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard from World War Two.


Military Records

These are the names listed on the Commonwealth War Graves for WWII:

  1. Brian BEASLEY
  2. Sydney Charles CLEMENTS
  3. Victor James COYNE
  4. Ralph Ronald DIMBLEBY
  5. Edward Arthur JOHNSON
  6. Edward James JOLLY
  7. Irene MAGGS
  8. Kenneth PLUMTREE
  9. James Donald ROBERTSON
  10. Robert Albert ROBSON
  11. Jesse TAYLOR
  12. Joan Mary WARDLE
  13. Cyril WASS

Names, Geographical

In the 12th century, the parish name was rendered as "Ordshale".


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottinghamshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish includes a township comprised of two Lordships; Ordsall west of the Idle River and Thrumpton east of the river.
  • The parish was in the Hatfield division of the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake (Hundred) in the northern division of the county.
  • The parish was also in the ancient Soke of Elksley.
  • In 1878, the parish was incorporated into East Retford Brorough.
  • On 1 April, 1921, the parish was abolished and absorbed into East Retford Civil Parish.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1804.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Retford petty session hearings held in West Retford.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the East Retford Poor Law Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 560
1821 632
1841 955
1851 1,342
1861 1,911
1871 2,473
1881 3,011
1891 3,852
1901 5,199
1911 5,690


  • A School Board of 5 members was formed here in 1871.
  • The Board School for boys was built in Thrumpton hamlet in 1874. The building was demolished several years ago and houses built on the site. The Local Authority has provided a new building for the school next to the original site.
  • A Church of England School for infants was built in the parish about 1830
  • A new village school opened on 1st December 1939 when 144 pupils transferred.