Hide

Oxton

hide
Hide

"Oxton is a pleasant village and parish, 5 miles west by south of Southwell, under the hills, on the eastern side of the Dover Beck. It has within its parish 850 inhabitants and 3,584 acres of land. All the waste land was enclosed in 1851. The tithes were commuted in 1844 for £582 4s 3d. The Beecher family and Henry Sherbrooke Esq. are the lay rectors, the latter of whom is lord of the manor and principal owner, and resides at the Hall, and large handsome mansion, with a projecting centre and a handsome pediment. The worthy owner came to this estate in 1847, since when he has made great improvements in the mansion, gardens and pleasure grounds. Thomas Redgate Esq., John Richardson, William Harvey and Mrs Lamb also have estates here, besides several smaller freeholders.
The church is an ancient fabric, with a low tower and four bells, and is in the patronage of the Prebendary of Oxton, which forms part of the Chapter of Southwell. The vicarage is valued in the King's books at £24 10s, and has the vicarage of Blidworth annexed to it."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Graham HOGG has a photograph of the church graveyard on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2018.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Southwell sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 866
1861 R.G. 9 / 2471
1871 R.G. 10 / 3533
1891 R.G. 12 / 2707
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul.
     
  • The church was constructed in the 12th century.
     
  • The church tower was added in the late 14th century.
     
  • The church was restored in 1840-43 and again in 1898-1900.
     
  • The church seats 240.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2011.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1564 and is in fair condition.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Southwell.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here by 1869.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Former Methodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.
     
  • The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here by 1881.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Southwell sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description and Travel

This village and parish are just east of the Dover Beck, about 9 miles north-east of Nottingham, 5 miles south-west of Southwell and 143 miles north of London. The parish covers about 3,580 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the parish sits at the intersection of the A6097 coming north out of Lowdham and the B6386 coming south-west out of Southwell.
     
  • The street numbers have moved to the new roads bypassing the village, but they'll get you close enough to see the signsl.
     
  • Thomas COURTNEY has a photograph of one of the new Millenium Mile Markers on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2005.
     
You can see pictures of Oxton which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Oxton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Near the village are three ancient barrows. It is unclear how much is known about the barrow contents.
     
  • Many of the workers in this parish were frame-work knitters in the 1800s.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the Green Dragon Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015.
     
  • And Richard VINGE has a photograph of Ye Olde Bridge Inn on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2014.
     
  • There is more local history at My Oxton.
     
topup

Manors

  • IThe Manor House apparently came into the possesion of Mr. Henry SHERBROOKE in 1878.
     
  • In 1881, Mr. Henry SHERBROOKE, lord of the manor, occupied Oxton Hall. The Hall was in a park of 200 acres.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of The Manor House on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK629516 (Lat/Lon: 53.057959, -1.062948), Oxton which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • In the parish church, the east chancel window is a memorial to the 22 men who died in World War I.
     
  • Also in the parish church is a wooden Roll of Honour for both World Wars along with a framed list of the 107 who served in the First World War.
     
  • There are two memorial plaques that used to be in the Methodist Church, but are now in the Anglican parish church.
     
topup

Military Records

There are 23 names on the War Memorial plaque. Next to it is the Roll of Hojour of all who served in World War One.

These are the names listed on the St. Peter's Church War Memorial Plaque:

  1. Stanley ADKINS
  2. Samuel ARGYLE
  3. Charles Richard CARTER
  4. Ernest CATLIN
  5. William DICKMAN
  6. William H. H. FREESTONE
  7. Henry HALFORD
  8. Henry HART
  9. Joseph William HART
  10. Arthur HINDSON
  11. Robert HINDSON
  12. John William HINDSON
  1. Frederick REAVILL
  2. Henry REEVE
  3. Robert William SLINGER
  4. Frank SPENDLOVE
  5. Arthur STRUTT
  6. Frederick STRUTT
  7. Thomas TEMPLEMAN
  8. George Frederick UPTON
  9. John Robert WELLS
  10. Edward WHITELOCKS
  11. William WILLIS

The Newark Great War Bulletin of 22 Nov. 1915 tells us that Oxton's postman, Georeg Ernest TWELLS, age 34 and a private in the 9th Sherwood Foresters, was recuperating in Nottingham's Bagthorpe Hospital. George recovered from his wounds and lived on into his 60s.

topup

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the southern division of the ancient Thurgarton Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
     
  • You may contact the local Oxton Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Newark and Sherwood District Council.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.

  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1851.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
     
  • Kim KOOPMAN of Canada has a indenture dated March 1, 1878, of a Mr William JACKSON and others conveying the estate at Oxton in the county of Nottingham to Henry SHERBROOKE Esqre. It is 9 pages of parchment with wax seals and includes a map of the properties with both Oxton Hall and church shown.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Southwell Poor Law Union.
     
  • The parish had six ancient poorhouses which were taken down in 1852 and replaced with new ones.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 697
1841 841
1851 850
1881 516
1901 440
topup

Schools

  • A Parochial School was built here in 1824, endowed by Mrs. M. SHERBROOK.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the old school on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.
     
  • A National School was built here in 1870.