"PAPPLEWICK is s small village and parish, pleasantly situated on the east bank of the Leen, six miles S. of Mansfield; it contains 307 inhabitants, and about 2,000 acres of land, all belotqing to Andrew Mestagu, Esq., who is also lord of the manor. The extensive cotton mill has been unoccupied ever since the estate came into its present owner's possession. PAPPLEWICK HALL, built in 1787, the seat of J. A. Case, Esq., is an elegant stone edifice, in a beautiful park, commanding varied and extensive prospects. Near the lodge is a hollow rrock, called Robin Hood’s Stable; the cave evidently appears to be cut out of tbs solid roclr, and is well contrived for holding horses and fodder;i there b great probability of its having been used by that celebrated freebooter.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, was rebuilt in 1795, with a tower and three bells. It has a beautiful stained glass window, and is completely embowered in trees. The living is a curacy, certified at £91. Andrew Montagu is the patron, and the Rev. Thomas Hurt the incumbent. A Sheep Fair is held on the last Tuesday in August. A feast is held on the Sunday preceding the fair"

WHITE's Directory and Gazetteer of Nottinghamshire, 1853



Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the church graveyard on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2019.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Churchyard gates on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2014.



  • The parish was in the Hucknall Torkard sub-district of the Basford Registration District:
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 860
1851 H.O. 107 / 2128
1861 R.G. 9 / 2444
1871 R.G. 10 / 3494
1891 R.G. 12 / 2677

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint James.
  • The church stands apart from the village, within the precincts of the Hall Grounds.
  • The church nave was rebuilt in 1795.
  • Papplewick is thought to be the burial place of Alan A'Dale - one of Robin Hood's men.
  • St. James' Church has two large ancient stone slabs on its floor with carvings of longbows and hunting horns. These are thought to mark the graves of foresters, the medieval officials of the royal hunting forest.
  • The church is Grade I listed with British Heritage.
  • Trevor RICKARD has a photograph of St. James Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2009.
  • And Richard VINCE has a photograph of the Church tower on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2013.

Church Records

Most of the records below can be found at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.

  • The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish for the period 1627-1835.
  • Bishop's Transcripts exist for the period 1627-1835.
  • Methodist Circuit records exist for the period 1844-1954.
  • There are also Methodist Circuit registers for the period 1895-1967.
  • Parish Chest notes exist for the period 1786-1919.
  • The Anglican church was in the No. 1 deanery of Nottingham (or the Rural Deanery of Mansfield).

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Hucknall Torkard sub-district of the Basford Registration District:
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Papplewick is both a small village and a parish in central Nottinghamshire about 135 miles north of London, 9 miles north of Nottingham and 7 miles south of Mansfield. Hucknall lies just to the south-west. The parish covers about 1,766 acres and includes Newstead Priory.

The village of Papplewick is located in the west of the parish on the east bank of the River Leen. The village is closely allied to the village of Linby, further to the west. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A60 trunk road north out of Nottingham and turn left (west) onto the B6011 arterial road. This will take you to the village after about 1 mile.
  • Check the bus schedules at: Carlberry Company.
  • Visit the Papplewick village page for more sources.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2014.
  • Graham HOGG also has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2016. And, Yes, you may have to make way for cattle on the road.
You can see pictures of Papplewick which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Papplewick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • An annual sheep fair was held on the last Tuesday in August.
  • A village feast was held on the Sunday before the sheep fair.
  • Chris MORGAN has a photograph of the Griffin's Head Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.




  • Papplewick Hall, NG15 8FE, dates from 1787 and is probably the work of William LINDLEY of Doncaster. The house is stone built in the Georgian style.
  • Near the Hall is a large rock, hollowed out and now called Robin Hood's Stable.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Papplewick Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2014.
  • Stephen RICHARDS also has a photograph of Papplewick House on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2003.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK548511 (Lat/Lon: 53.054355, -1.183875), Papplewick which are provided by:


Military History

  • Inside the church there are ashlar and bronze War Memorial tablets.

Military Records


Names, Geographical

  • If we accept the etymology of Mr. Flavell Edmonds, Papplewick signifies the dwelling place of Pappa, a Saxon chieftain.
  • In the 1086 Doomsday Book it is called Papplewic, and three Saxon proprietors are named.

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham, and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • This parish was in the north division of the Broxtowe Hundred or Wapentake.
  • On 25 March, 1883, this parish was reduced by 6 acres to enlarge Bestwood Park Civil Parish.
  • On 1 April, 1935, this parish was reduced by 220 acres to enlarge Hucknall Torkard Civil Parish.
  • You may contact the local Papplewick Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
  • In 1974, the parish joined the new Gedling Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1733 circa 206
1801 709
1841 319
1861 270
1871 270
1881 331
1891 384
1901 346
1911 320
1921 333
1931 442
1971 573
2001 630


  • The local school is: Linby Cum Papplewick CE Pri Sch, Linby, Nottingham, NG15 8GA. Tele: 01159 634-282.
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of Linby Cum Papplewick CE Primary School on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2012. The school lies on the northeast corner of the village of Linby.