White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Plumtree is a small, pleasant village and parish, on the Melton Mowbray Road, 5½ miles south south east of Nottingham, and was formerly the capital of a wapentake of its own name. It contains 306 inhabitants and about 1,812 acres of land. The parish is divided up into three townships of Plumtree, Normanton on the Wolds and Clipston. W.S. Burnside Esq. is lord of the manor and principal owner, and also patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £19 9s 7d, now £1,113, and is enjoyed by the Rev. John Burnside. At the enclosure 446 acres of land was allotted in lieu of tithes. The church, dedicated to St Mary, was re-pewed, a new pulpit added, and the gallery enlarged in 1818, at a cost of £300. The chancel contains a very handsome painting of the crucifixion, belonging to the worthy rector. A school room was built in 1840 by W.E. Elliott Esq. The poor have the interest of £34, left in 1755 by Richard Fritchett and an unknown donor. The feast is on the first Sunday after Trinity.
Clipstone township is in Bingham Hundred. It comprises 864 acres of fine clay land, and 81 inhabitants, forming a small village situated on the declivity of the Wolds, 6 miles south-east of Nottingham. Earl Manvers is the owner and lord of the manor, and the following are the resident farmers:- John Allcock, Thomas Butler, William Richards and John Stephenson. The feast is on the 26th of December, if it falls at the beginning of the week, and on the Sunday after, if not.
Normanton-on-the-Wolds has 210 inhabitants and 790 acred of land, and is situated half a mile east of Plumtree. It is owned chiefly by A. Smith Esq., W.S. Burnside Esq. and Mrs C. Goodall. This place pays to the rector of Plumtree for tithes £139, and to the rector of Clifton £11 10s 5d, according to a valuation made in 1838. A Wesleyan chapel was built here in 1798, and enlarged in 1827.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]