"SCREVETON, a parish, with a village, in Bingham district, Notts; 2¾ miles N by W of Aslockton r. station, and 3½ N E of Bingham. Post-town, Bingham, under Nottingham. Acres, 1, 150. Real property, £2,646. Pop., 241. Houses, 60. The manor belongs to Earl Manvers and T. B. T. Hildyard, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £252. Patron, T. D. Hall, Esq. The church is good, and has a Norman tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Dr. Thoroton, the antiquary, was a native."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]


Archives & Libraries

The Community Library at Bingham is an excellent resource.



Ian S. has a photograph of St. Wilfrid's churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2020.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of some Chest Tombs at Screveton on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.



  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 854
1851 H.O. 107 / 2139
1861 R.G. 9 / 2483
1871 R.G. 10 / 3547
1881 R.G. 11 / 3381
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Wilfrid (One source gives Saint Winifred) in the Early English Style.
  • The date of original construction is not recorded, but most construction was completed in the 14th century. There is evidence that an earlier church stood on the site. And the font in the present church dates back to 1170 AD.
  • The church was restored in 1881 and the nave in 1884.
  • The church seats 140.
  • Robert DANYLEC has a photograph of Saint Wilfrid's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of Saint Wilfrid's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1650.
  • The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish for the period 1630-1843.
  • The church was in the rural deanery #2 of Bingham.
  • The Primitive Methodists had a small chapel here in 1848.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here before 1869.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Screveton is a village and a parish 120 miles north of London, 4 miles north-east of Bingham and 13 miles north-east of Nottingham city. The parish covers about 1110 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A52 trunk road east out of Nottingham or west out of Grantham. Turn north onto the Foss Way (A46 trunk road) and proceed about 4 miles. The village of Screveton will be on your right.
You can see pictures of Screveton which are provided by:





Dr. Robert THOROTON, the noted Nottinghamshire Historian, was born here on 4 October 1623. Shortly after his birth, the family moved to nearby Car Colston Hall.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Screveton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the circular Pinfold on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009. The pinfold has been converted into an herb garden.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK731437 (Lat/Lon: 52.985662, -0.912573), Screveton which are provided by:


Military History

There is a tablet in the church to the memory of Admiral Evelyn SUTTON who died in 1817. SUTTON died at Screveton Hall in June 1817.

The War Memorial is a brass plaque on a wooden base mounted inside St. Wilfrid's Church. It commemorates the three men of Screveton who gave their lives in World War I.

There is also a War Memorial plaque on a standing stone just north of the village to honour the eleven men killed in a midair collision above Screveton. Bob DANYLEC has a photograph of this War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.


Military Records

These are the men from the parish who fell in World War One:

  1. gunner Percy Espetxe BARRETT, 219th bn. RGA
  2. pte. Orton BEAN, 6th Bn Alexandra Princess of Wales's Own
  3. pte. George Walter SLEIGH, 175th Coy Machine Gun Corps

To see the names of the eleven airmen killed in the collision, Richard CROFT has a close-up of the memorial plaque on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2008.


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Bingham Wapentake (Hundred) in the northern division of the county.
  • The citizens of this parish have elected to forgo a formal Parish Council and have instead decided to have Parish Meetings to discuss civic and political issues.
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bngham petty session hearings every other Thursday.
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1776.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Bingham Poor Law Union.


 Year Population
1861 241
1871 219
1881 179
1891 172
1901 159
1911 163
1921 140
1931 103


  • A school existed here in 1869 for both sexes.
  • A formal Public Elementary School