"Shelton parish and village is pleasantly situated on the west bank of the Smite, 7 miles south by west of Newark. It has a population of 102 persons and 840 acres of land. The principal owners are Robert Hall Esq., Rev. Joseph Banks Wright and Mr William Hemsley, the former of whom is lord of the manor, and resides at the Manor House. Shelton Hall is a neat, modern mansion, the seat and property of the Rev. Joseph Banks Wright.
The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St Mary, and was partly rebuilt and new pewed in 1831, at the cost of £400. The rectory, valued in the King's books at £6 14s 4½d, now £322, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Ince Maltby M.A., who has 40 acres of glebe. The father of Secker, Archbishop of Canterbury, was buried here. The poor have £9 per annum from 4 acres of land at Aslacton, purchased by £30 left in 1744 by the Rev. George Bardhope."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 862
1851 H.O. 107 / 2139
1861 R.G. 9 / 2483
1871 R.G. 10 / 3547
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary and All Saints.
  • The church was originally built in the 13th century.
  • The church was partially rebuilt in 1831.
  • The church tower was demolished and replaced with a bellcote in 1837.
  • The church was restored in 1878.
  • The church is a Grade 2 listed historical building.
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of St Mary and All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011.
  • Richard CROFT also has a photograph of St Mary and All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1690 and is in fair condition.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Newark.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Shelton is a small parish and a "linear" village about 7 miles south of Newark. The eastern parish boundary is the River Smite.

You can see pictures of Shelton which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Shelton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.





  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK780444 (Lat/Lon: 52.991264, -0.839431), Shelton which are provided by:


Military History

  • Colonel Francis Vere WRIGHT of the 3rd Btln. King's Own Staffordshire Rifles resided here in 1891 and 1912. Francis was born in Scampton, Lincolnshire in 1835. He was noted for his book on "The Broadsword As Taught by the Celebrated Italian Masters".
  • The Great War Bulletin for November 16th, 1914 tells us that the following men were selected as Special Constables for Shelton for the duration of the war: C. PROCTOR, cottager; Edward William HOWARD, gentleman.

Politics & Government

  • The parish was in the ancient Newark Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
  • The citizens of this parish have elected to forgo a formal Parish Council and have instead decided to have periodic Parish Meetings to discuss civic and political issues.
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Newark petty session hearings every other Wednesday.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Bingham Poor Law Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 73
1851 119
1881 116
1901 104


Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Old School House at Geo-graph, taken in May, 2016. It has been converted into a residence.