White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
South Scarle and Besthorpe
South Scarle is a pleasant village, 7 miles north-north-east of Newark, including within its parish the township of Besthorpe. South Scarle contains 170 inhabitants and 1,540 acres of land, of the rateable value of £1,288 11s. The church, dedicated to St Helen, is a discharge vicarage, valued in the King's books at £5 2s 6d, now £168, with Girton perpetual curacy annexed. The prebendary of South Scarle in Lincoln Cathedral is patron and appropriator, and the Rev. Francis Baron-de-Paravieloi the incumbent. The tithe was commuted in 1842, the large tithe for £214 12s 3d, and the small tithe for £80 2s 6d, and about 22 acres of glebe belongs to the vicarage, purchased with Queen Anne's Bounty. The vicarage house, a commodious residence, is in Besthorpe. A Methodist chapel was erected in 1829, and enlarged in 1839, and has a Sunday School. The Duke of Newcastle is lord of the manor of Moreland, which is partly copyhold and comprises this parish and Girton, and is held by his Grace of the crown, for the annual rent of £23 4s 5¾d. The Hall is a neat residence, near the church, and is the property and seat of Miss Mary Edmonds. The poor have an annuity of 26s 8d out of Griffin Bridge Close, and the interest of £20, left in 1754 by Edward Ward.
Besthorpe is a good village near the Fleet river, 2 miles west-north-west from Scarle, and 8 miles north-north-east from Newark. It contains 340 inhabitants and 510 acres of land. The vicarage house is situated here, and it formerly had a Quaker's meeting house, and a chapel of ease, which in 1734 was converted into a school. This school was taken down in 1841 and a small chapel of ease erected on the site, at a cost of £400, raised by subscription. In 1844, a neat school room was erected near the chapel, which will accommodate 80, average number 70. The master teaches 8 free scholars in consideration of £5 a year left by George Carver in 1709, and the interest of £91 7s left by William Wilson in 1824. The large tithe was commuted in 1842 for £235, and the small for £44. The Methodists built a chapel here in 1832, and the Independents in 1839. The corporation of Newark, Christopher Milnes Esq., Godfrey Tollent Esq., Mr John Hunt and Mrs Elizabeth Howard are the principal owners, and it is in the Manor of Moreland. the feast is on the Sunday after Old Michaelmas Day.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]