Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Stanford on Soar

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Stanford on Soar

"Stanford-On-Soar is a small, picturesque village and parish, one and a half miles north of Loughborough, at the point where the River Soar enters Leicestershire. It has about 140 inhabitants and 1,520 acres of land, all belonging to the Rev. Samuel Dashwood, who is both patron and incumbent of the rectory, and resides in the Hall, a modern mansion, which stands on a commanding eminence, and is surrounded by a beautifully wooded park of considerable extent. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £420, exclusive of 13 acres of ancient glebe.
The church is a neat edifice embowered in thick foliage, with a handsome tower and four bells,, and dedicated to St Luke, and contains several rural monuments of the Lewis's and others. The chancel window is principally composed of stained glass. The rectory is valued in the King's books at £9 7s 8d, now £435. The worthy owner gives £5 a year to the poor of this parish, and also supports an infant school. A feast is held on the first Sunday after St Luke's day."

  • Dashwood Rev. Saml. Vere, rector, The Hall
  • Dashwood Mrs. B, Rectory
  • Atkins, Mrs. Mgret, hskpr The Hall
  • Atkins, Ralph, gardener, Hall
  • Mathews, Wm., butler, Hall
  • Pratt, Wm., gamekeeper
  • Shepherd, Elizth., infant sch. mstrs.
  • Sibson John, parish clerk

Farmers.

  • Burchnall J. Hill
  • Burchnall Wm.
  • Hatton, Wm. Hill
  • Morris John
  • Nixon John Dale

[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

 

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Leake sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2277
1871 R.G. 10 / 3259
1891 R.G. 12 / 2518
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
     
  • The church started construction in the 13th century.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1893-94.
     
  • The church seats 230.
     
  • The church is Grade I listed with British Heritage.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of St. John's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2014.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the 1894 church lychgate on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007.
     
  • Andy JAMIESON also has a photograph of the church lychgate on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1537, but early portions are dilapidated. One source indicates that the register exists only from 1635.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Bingham No. 3.
     
  • The memorials and monuments in the church are transcribed on Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Leake sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was reassigned to the Basford sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description and Travel

This parish and village are across the border from Leicestershire, right at the point where the Soar River enters Leicestershire. It is the southern-most place in Nottinghamshire. The parish lies about 117 miles north of London, 1 mile northeast of Loughborough (in Leicestershire) and 13 miles due south of Nottingham. The parish covers 1,515 acres.

The village sits along a small stream between hills. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the village is only about a mile north of the limits of Loughborough, just west of Cotes.
     
  • Glenn MANSFIELD has a photograph of the village sign on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
     

You can see pictures of Stanford on Soar which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stanford on Soar to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stanford on Soar has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • This place was a Roman settlement.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of what is left of the Village Pump on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2014.
     
topup

Manors

  • Stanford Park stands on a commanding height. In 1881 it was the seat of C. L. DASHWOOD, lord of the manor.
     
  • In 1912, Mrs. PEACOCK was the lady of the manor and sole landowner.
     
topup
topup

Military History

  • The dark oak lectern in St. John the Baptist Church is the war memorial, being put in place after the 1st World War. It is known as the Peace Memorial Lectern.
     
  • Major Horace Ogilvie PEACOCK, 7th Brigade, Sherwood Rangers, lived in the parish around 1912 and had served in the Boer War. He died in 1940.
     
  • The only known casualty or WW II was Kenneth ROBSON or the RAF.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the Village Garden of Remembrance on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2009.
     
topup

Military Records

There is a description of the war memorial and a single name from WWII at the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project site.

topup

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottinghamshire and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the southern division of the ancient Rushcliffe Wapentake in the southern division of the county.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
     
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1842.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Loughborough Poor Law Union in Leicestershire.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 119
1841 146
1851 147
1871 94
1881 105
1891 165
1901 197
1911 165
1921 155
1931 183
1951 217
topup

Schools

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Old School on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014 . The school has been converted into residential use.