"Staunton is a small village picturesquely situated in the Vale of Belvoir, near the point where the three counties of Nottingham, Leicester and Lincoln unite, 7 miles south by east of Newark, and 10 miles from Grantham, which is the post town, and near the source of the River Devon. Its parish includes part of the hamlet of Alverton, and the township and chapelry of Flawborough. The lordship of Staunton has 93 inhabitants and 1,410 acres of land, which was enclosed in 1760. It has been the sole property of a family of its own name from the time of the Saxons, and (in Thoroton) we find, "Sir Manger Staunton successfully defended Belvoir Castle against William the Conqueror, and there made his composition and contract for his lands, and had the strongest fortress therein, ever since called by his name - Staunton's Tower". Job Staunton Charlton Esq., the last male heir of this ancient family, died in 1777, after which this lordship was possessed by his two maiden daughters, the survivor of whom died in 1807, and left here estates here and in Yorkshire, to her second cousin, Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. John Apinshaw L.L.D, on condition that they should take the name and bear the arms of Staunton only. This was the case, and the present representative of this family, George William Manger Staunton, grandson of the late Dr Staunton, is the chief proprietor and lord of the manor, as well as patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £16 10s 11½d. In 1851, the present proprietor presented the living to the Rev. Charles Wing B.A., the present rector."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]


Archives & Libraries

The Library at Newark will prove useful in your research.



  • The parish was in the Bennington sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 862
1851 H.O. 107 / 2138 - 2139
1861 R.G. 9 / 2481
1871 R.G. 10 / 3544
1891 R.G. 12 / 2715

Church History

  • The 1086 Domesday Book records a priest and a church.
  • The Anglican Parish Church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
  • The church is located on the east side of the High Street.
  • The date of original construction remains unreported, but is believed to be 12th century, rebuilt in the 14th century.
  • The church was restored in 1854, with portions of the nave and the porch rebuilt.
  • The church was restored again in 1936.
  • The church is a Grade II* structure with English Heritage.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
  • Richard CROFT has another view of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
  • Richard CROFT also has a photograph of the Churchyard gate on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
  • Up until 1857, there stood a separate building known as the Staunton Chapel, built c1346 in the south part of the churchyard.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1663.
  • The parish was in the rural deanery of Newark.
  • The marriages for 1663 through 1812 have been transcribed and are in Phillimore's Vol. 4 at the Family History Library.
  • W.P.W. PHILLIMORE: "Parish registers for Staunton Chapel," S & N Pulbishing, ISBN 9-7818-61501-554, 1663-1802).

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Bennington sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Staunton (or Staunton in the Vale) was a parish and a township on the river Devon, due south of Newark.

You can see pictures of Staunton which are provided by:






Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Staunton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Colin PYLE has a photograph of the Staunton Arms Inn on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2016.



Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Staunton Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014. The Hall is on the south edge of the village.

The pages of “The Heart of Midlothian,” written while Sir Walter SCOTT was a guest at Staunton Hall, contain pen pictures of Staunton-in-the-Vale, under the pseudonym of Willingham.



  • The national grid reference is SK 8043.
  • You'll want an Ordnance Survey "Explorer" map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK806436 (Lat/Lon: 52.98369, -0.800906), Staunton which are provided by:


Military History

  • The Great War Bulletin for November 16th, 1914; tells us that the following men were selected as Special Constables for Staunton for the duration of the war: George Ernest MARSH and James BAGULEY, farmers.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Lancaster W4270 Memorial from the 1943 crash, taken outside the church on Geo-graph in August, 2008.
  • Di ABLEWHITE also has a photograph of the Lancaster W4270 Memorial on Geo-graph taken in July, 2010. The memorial is decorated for a celebration.

Military Records

Adrian S. PYE has a photograph of the Wellington W4270 War Memorial and a list of the casualties on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2020.


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry of Orston parish in Nottinghamshire for centuries and was converted to its own parish before 1827.
  • Prior to Civil Registration this place was often referred to as "Staunton Chapel".
  • The parish was in the ancient Newark Wapentake (Hundred) in the eastern division of the county.
  • District governance is provided by the Newark and Sherwood District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Newark petty session hearings.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Newark Poor Law Union.


Year Population
1801 146
1821 142
1841 93
1851 93
1881 95
1891 95
1901 102