Sutton Bonington


"Sutton Bonnington is an extensive village on the eastern bank of the Soar, 11 miles south south west of Nottingham. It is in the two parishes of Sutton St Ann and Sutton St Michael, which support their poor jointly. There were anciently two distinct villages, the more southerly one being Sutton juxta Bonnington, and the other Bonnington, but they have long been connected by modern buildings, and borne the common name of Sutton Bonnington. It contains 1,220 inhabitants, and 2,070 acres of land, rated at £6,034, including the value of 20 acres taken by the Midland Railway company. William Paget Esq. is lord of the manor of St Ann's, and George Pynge Paget Esq. of St Michael's. At the enclosure in 1775 and 1777, the tithes of both parishes were commuted for allotments of land; to St Ann's were allotted 123a 1r, and to St Michael's 211a 35p. In 1832, Lord Tamworth sold his estate here, when Wm. Paget Esq. of Loughborough became the principal purchaser; but Jonathan Burton, Thomas Bigsby, John B. Bainbridge Esq. and Mrs Redfern of Barton have also estates here. At the top of the village is an ancient house called Hobgoblins, which was once an extensive building, as appears from the numerous foundations which are still visible, and formerly had a chapel attached to it, which belonged to Repton priory, in Derbyshire. Kirk Hill, near Zouch Bridge, is supposed to have been a Roman camp. In 1825 a number of ancient coins and urns were found in a high state of preservation, some of the latter were sold for five guineas each. Wm. Riste, the 'Giant of England', who was 7 feet four and a half inches in height, was born in this village. He increased annually six inches in height, from 14 up to 20 years of age, and was introduced to His Majesty King George III, who presented him with a splendid suit of silk to be exhibited in."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • The parish was in the Leake sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2278
1871 R.G. 10 / 3259
1891 R.G. 12 / 2518

Church History

  • There are two Anglican eclessiastical parishes within this one Civil Parish: St. Anne's and St. Michael's.
  • The Anglican parish church dedicated to Saint Anne is the smaller of the two, and perhaps older.
  • Saint Anne's Church was restored in 1860.
  • Saint Michael's is larger and sports a tower with six bells. It was long the custom for St. Micahel's to ring the curfew bell during the winter months.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1654.
  • Both churches were in the rural deanery of West Bingham.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists, the Primitive Methodists and the Reformed Wesleyans each had a chapel built here by 1881.
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
  • The Baptists had a chapel built here by 1881.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Leake sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
  • In 1935, the parish was reassigned to the Basford sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

This parish and village are in the Wold Hills and lie about 121 miles north of London, 5 miles north-west of Loughborough (in Leicestershire) and 10 miles south-west of Nottingham. Zouch Mill is a hamlet in this parish.

The River Soar flows along the west side of the parish and village and separates this place from Leicestershire. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the M1 to Kegworth and pass thru that town to get to Sutton Bonington.
You can see pictures of Sutton Bonington which are provided by:






Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Sutton Bonington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Kirk Hill is thought to have been a Roman camp. Many Roman coins and urns have been found there.
  • Many of the village people worked as frame-work knitters in the 1800s.
  • Malcolm NEAL has a photograph of the main building at Sutton Bonington on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2019. The main building at Sutton Bonington was completed in 1915 and was due to be part of the Midland Agricultural and Dairy College. However on completion the government requisitioned it to be an officer prisoner of war site for German Officers for the duration of the first world war. It closed in 1919 and Sutton Bonington reverted to its original planned use as an agricultural college and eventually became part of Nottingham University in 1948.


  • There is mention of "Hobgoblins House", but no designation of it as the manor house or hall. It is said to have been formerly a religious house.
  • Sutton Hall was the seat of George Ernest PAGET in 1881.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK504254 (Lat/Lon: 52.823783, -1.253498), Sutton Bonington which are provided by:


Military History

William Byerley PAGET, who resided here in 1841, would be promoted to Lieut.-colonel and serve in the Royal Hussars.

In World War I, the residential buildings of the new college (Univ. of Nottingham) were used to house German prisoners of war.


Names, Geographical

  • Although often spelled with a "double N" as in "Sutton Bonnington, the preferred rendering is "Sutton Bonington".

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient township in Nottinghamshire and it became a Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the southern division of the ancient Rushcliffe Wapentake in the southern division of the county.
  • You may contact the local Sutton Bonington Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • In 1775 and 1777 the Common Land was enclosed here.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Loughborough Poor Law Union in Leicestershire.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 790
1821 983
1851 1,220
1861 1,019
1871 1,009
1881 1,005
1891 993
1901 1,005
1911 956
1921 974
1931 1,132


  • A Free School was founded here in 1719 by Henry TATE.
  • A National School was built here in 1844 to replace the one above.