Hide

Treswell

hide
Hide

"Treswell, or Tireswelle, 5 miles east by south of Retford, is a tolerable village and parish, having 60 houses, 254 inhabitants, and about 1721 acres of land, all of which is a fertile clay, except the east end, which is sandy, and adjoins the Trent marsh. The Rev. C.W. Eyre is lord of the manor, but the land belongs to several proprietors, amongst whom are John Wells, John Giles and G.H. Vernon Esq. It was anciently in two manors, called the East and West Hold, the latter of which was long the property and residence of the Musters family, who held it of the Richmond fee; and the other, which was held of the Tickhill fee, passed from Roger, the tenant of Roger de Busli, to William de Lovetot, who gave his portion of the church here to Worksop Priory. These manors were afterwards united in the Hercy family, and from then passed to the Roos's and Broughton's.
The Church is an ancient structure, with a lofty embattled tower, and is dedicated to St John the Baptist. The Rectory was like the manor in two medieties, valued in the King's books one at £9 15s 8d, and the other at £8 1s 4d; but it was consolidated in 1764, and is now in the alternate patronage of the Dean and Chapter of York, and the heirs of the Stephenson family, and of the value of £254. The Rev. henry Townley Daniel is the rector. The tithes were commuted in 1843 for about £280, exclusive of 45a 1r 2½r of glebe, and the commons were enclosed in 1838. A small Methodist chapel was built here in 1825. The feast is on the second Sunday after Whitsunday."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the East Retford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 852
1861 R.G. 9 / 2415
1871 R.G. 10 / 3453
1891 R.G. 12 / 2640
topup

Church History

  • Although the village is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book, there is no mention of a priest or a church here.
     
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
     
  • The church was built in the 13th century.
     
  • The church was restored in 1855.
     
  • The church tower was restored in 1899-1900.
     
  • The church is a Grade I structure with British Heritage.
     
  • The church seats 130.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. John the Baptist's Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2006.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the Church of St. John the Baptist on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1563 for baptisms, 1557 for marriages, 1569 for burials and is in good condition.
     
  • The Bishop's Transcripts of the register date from 1602 to 1941.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Tuxford (#2 deanery of Retford).
     
  • The church is now in the Bassetlaw and Bawtry deanery.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a small chapel built here in 1825. This closed in recent years and is now a private residence.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the East Retford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Treswell is both a village and a parish about 5 miles east-by-south from Retford, 10 miles south-east of Gainsborough and 144 miles north of London. The parish covers 1,570 acres. The east end of the parish borders on the Trent Marsh.

If you are planning a visit:

  • Andrew HILL has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2010. You should stop in and ask to see the schedule of forth-coming events.
     
  • By automobile, take the county road east out of Retford and turn right (south) at South Leverton. Pass through that village and drive less than a mile to Treswell village.
     
  • Graham HOGG has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2015.
     
You can see pictures of Treswell which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Treswell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Ian S. has a photograph of the former Red Lion Inn on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2012.

topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK782792 (Lat/Lon: 53.303985, -0.827969), Treswell which are provided by:

topup

Military History

The War Memorial is a brass plaque on the north wall, at the rear of the church. It honors those from the parish who fell in World War One.

topup

Military Records

These are the names inscribed on the war memorial above:

  1. Jonathan Henry BARTLE
  2. William CREE
  3. Thomas DAY
  1. Robert McCABE
  2. Charles TALBOT

There is also a small memorial in St John the Baptist Church which commemorates Mark Athel Chadwick Edgar NOBLE who was the vicar's son. It consists of his dead man's penny set in a marble tablet. He was an acting corporal in the Army Ordnance Corps who died on 30 Apr 1917.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the South Clay division of the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake (Hundred) in the northern division of the county.
     
  • Treswell has a joint parish Council with Cottam parish.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Bassetlaw District Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Retford petty session hearings held in West Retford.
     
  • The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1838.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the East Retford Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 175
1841 228
1851 254
1861 270
1871 266
1881 285
1901 178
1911 236
1921 221
topup

Schools

  • A National School was built here before 1881.