"Wallingwells, four miles north-by-west of Worksop, is the handsome mansion and beautiful park of Sir T.W. White, Bart., and is an extra-parochial district, partly in Yorkshire, containing 390 acres of land, 6 houses, and 36 inhabitants. It was anciently part of the manor and parish of Carlton-in-Lindrick, until Ralph de Cheurolcourt, in the reign of Stephen, granted 'to Almighty God and the Virgin St Mary, a place in his park of Carleton by the wells and streams of the wells, whose name shall be called St Mary of the Park, to make and build there an habitation for holy religion, so free that this place shall not depend on, or belong to any other place.'
The priory that he built here was a Benedictine nunnery, dedicated to the blessed St Virgin Mary, and afterwards called St Marys of Wallondewelles, from its situation amongst wells, fountains and streams. At its dissolution it was valued at £59, and was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Richard Pype and Francis Bowyer, but is now the property and seat of Sir Thomas Wollaston White, who was created a baronet in 1802."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]


Archives & Libraries

The Library at Worksop will prove useful in your research.



  • The parish was in the Carlton sub-district of the Worksop Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 852
1861 R.G. 9 / 2420
1871 R.G. 10 / 3461
1881 R.G. 11 / 3307
1891 R.G. 12 / 2645

Church History

  • The old Benedictine nunnery was known as "de Parco de Carleton" and was founded in King Stephen's reign (in the 1140s) to honor the Virgin Mary. In later years it was known as "St. Mary of Wallendwells".
  • The priory was surrendered on 14 December 1539.
  • There is no Anglican church in Wallingwells and no record of one in the old Directories. Many residents used the church in Carlton-in-Lindrick.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Carlton sub-district of the Worksop Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Wallingwells is a hamlet and a parish 4.5 miles north-west of Worksop. 352 acres of the parish are in Yorkshire and 390 are in Nottinghamshire. In 1861, the border was marked by a long row of trees. Quoting Wikipedia: "The parish is one of the few in England still to have an exclave - in this case a small section of land separated from the parish by the Carlton in Lindrick parish."

If you are planning a visit to the village:

  • The village is just north of the A57 trunk road heading north-west out of Worksop.
  • Martin DAWES has a photograph of No Name Lake on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2012.
You can see pictures of Wallingwells which are provided by:






Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Wallingwells has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Sir Thomas WHITE of this parish was High Sheriff of the county in 1833.


  • Wallingwells Hall dates back to the early 17th century.
  • Wallingwells Hall was the mansion of Sir Thomas Wollaston WHITE, baronet, in 1881. It was built from material taken from the ruins of the former Benedictine nunnery in the parish.
  • In 1886 Wallingwells Hall was split into four private homes. The adjoining estate offices and servants' wing were converted into 3 cottages.
  • Marten DAWES has a photograph of Wallingwells Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2012.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK572841 (Lat/Lon: 53.350703, -1.142173), Wallingwells which are provided by:


Military History

  • The Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry was raised in the summer of 1794 as the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Cavalry, by Thomas WHITE of Wallingwells, who financed and housed the regiment at his own cost.
  • Thomas WHITE was created a baronet by King George III in 1802 for twice raising, clothing and arming a regiment of militia during the Napoleonic Wars. The first regiment was known as the "Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry Cavalry" and is still in existence as "S" squadron Royal Yeomanry.
  • There appears to be no War Memorial for Wallingwells, perhaps because there is no church.

Politics & Government

  • This place was anciently an extra-parochial area, mostly in Nottinghamshire and anciently part of Carlton-in-Lindrick parish.
  • This place was established as a modern Civil Parish in December, 1858.
  • The parish was in the Hatfield division of the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake (Hundred) in the northern division of the county.
  • The parish is partly in the West Riding of Yorkshire, but mostly in Nottinghamshire, and within the parliamentary borough of East Retford.
  • In August, 1882, this parish was reduced by giving the Grange and Red Barn portion to Carlton-in-Lindrick Civil Parish.
  • In March, 1885, this parish was reduced by giving part of the North Moor to Carlton-in-Lindrick Civil Parish. In return, this parish gained the Birch Hills portion of that other parish.
  • The parish is small enough that it has no Parish Council, but the citizens do hold regular Parish Meetings to decide civil and governance issues.
  • From 1894 through 1925, the parish was part of the Blyth and Cuckney Regional District.
  • The parish is currently part of the Bassetlaw District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Worksop petty session hearings.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Worksop Poor Law Union.


 Year Population
1801 29
1841 36
1851 38
1861 25
1881 32
1891 29
1901 18