"Warsop Parish is situated at the south-west corner of Bassetlaw, and is bounded on the west by Derbyshire, on the north by Cuckney, on the east by Budby, and on the south by the parishes of Edwinstowe and Mansfield. It is divided into the two townships of Warsop and Sookholme, which contain together 1,394 inhabitants and 6,956 acres of land, of which upwards of 200 acres are in woods and plantations. The forest land was partly enclosed in 1775, and the remainder by an act passed in 1818, but the award was not signed till 1824, when 713a 3r 13p were allotted to the rector in lieu of all the tithes of the parish.
Warsop township comprises 5,974 acres of land, and 1,318 inhabitants, mostly living in the two villages of Church Warsop and Market Warsop, which are situated on the opposite banks of the River Meden, 5½ miles north-north-east of Mansfield. Sir Richard Henry Fitzherbert, Bart.,is lord of the manor, patron of the rectory, and owner of all the soil, except about 300 acres belonging to Mr Charles Jackson, and Mr Willowes Wright. The market here has long been obsolete, but three fairs are still held annually, viz. on the Monday before White-Monday for cattle, sheep &c.; on November 17th for cattle; and on Michaelmas Day for sheep."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
- Warsop Cemetery is on Cuckney Hill Road, north of the town.
- Graham HOGG has a photograph of the Church Warsop Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2016. This is a civil cemetery referred to as the Cuckney Hill Cemetery.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the parish churchyard gateway on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2016.
- Andy STEPHENSON has a photograph of the Gravestones in Church Warsop churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2014.
- The parish was in the Warsop sub-district of the Mansfield Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1841||H.O. 107 / 852|
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2123|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2423|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3464|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2648|
- A Saxon church was here at the time of the Domesday Survey (1068).
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul.
- The church was built in the 12th century.
- A clock was donated to the church tower by Reb. Francis MARTIN in 1844.
- The church was restored in 1878.
- Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of St. Peter and St. Paul Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
- Neil THEASBY has a photograph of St. Peter and St. Paul Church standing on a low hill on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2010.
- The church erected a Mission room and infants school in the middle of the parish in 1875.
- The Anglican parish church register dates from 1538.
- "Warsop Parish Records" by Richard J KING, written 1884, publ: William Goul, 3 Westgate, Mansfield.
- The Anglican church was in the No. 3 deanery of Retford.
- The Baptists had a chapel here before 1853.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here before 1853.
- The Congregationalists had a chapel here before 1881.
- Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of the Bethel Full Gospel Church in Carter Lane on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
- Chris MORGAN has a photograph of St. Teresa"s Catholic Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2016. This is a fairly new structure, built in 1974 at the end of High Street near the Millennium Cross. This church was formed as part of the St Joseph’s Parish, Shirebrook.
- The parish was in the Warsop sub-district of the Mansfield Registration District.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
This town and parish lies on both banks of the River Meden, 140 miles north of London, about 8 miles south-west of Worksop and 5.5 miles north-east of Mansfield. The parish covers almost 7,000 acres and includes the townships of Warsop and Sookholme and the hamlets of Gleadthorpe and Nettleworth.
Warsop township makes up about 6,000 acres and includes the two villages of Church Warsop and Market Warsop. The Market here has long been obsolete.
Sookholme township and chapelry makes up about 982 acres at the west end of the parish, up against Derbyshire, and includes the village of Sookholme. The village is about 4 miles north of Mansfield. The chapel here is a chapel-of-ease for Warsop. Magnesian Limestone is found in great quantities here. About a quarter of a mile south-west of the village is a spring, from which a small stream runs through the village into the Meden River.
If you are planning a visit to the village:
- The village is on the A60 south out of Worksop or north out of Mansfield.
- Check out the Community News.
- An extract from White's 1853 Directory relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warsop to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Warsop has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Cattle fairs were held the Monday before Whitsunday, on 29 September and again on 17 November.
- A county police station was built in 1894.
- Tim HEATON has a photograph of the Metz Lodge on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2009.
- Graham HOGG has a photograph of The Gate pub and restaurant on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2016.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of The Plough Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK567678 (Lat/Lon: 53.204599, -1.153197), Warsop which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- James HILL has a photograph of the War Memorial in Church Warsop on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
- David HALLAM-JONES also has a photograph of the War Memorial in Church Warsop on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2016.
- Andrew HILL has a photograph of the same War Memorial at the churchyard entrance on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
- There are 14 Commonwealth War Graves in the Warsop Urban Council Cemetery.
There is a War Memorial plaque in the church. To see the list of names on it, see the Southwell Church History Project site.
These are the 14 Commonwealth War Graves in the Urban Council Cemetery:
- William Alec BUXTON, died 21 November 1945
- Victor William COLEMAN, died 06 January 1945
- Ernest GREEN, died 02 November 1944
- Frank HAYWOOD, died 08 September 1941
- Douglas Evelyn HILL, died 05 March 1943
- George MANNING, died 02 November 1944
- George Clifford MARRIOTT, died 14 July 1944
- Lawrence MILLERSHIP, died 15 December 1943
- Thomas READER, died 05 December 1944
- John Tom ROLLING, died 02 October 1939
- William Harry SANDERS
- James SMITH, died 06 November 1918
- Priscilla TAYLOR, died 03 November 1942
- Leslie VARDY, died 24 November 1940
- John William WOOLGAR, died 15 June 1918
- This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the Hatfield division of the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake (Hundred) in the northern division of the county.
- In December, 1866, Sookholme was established as a separate Civil Parish.
- In 1894 the parish formed as an Urban District Council (effectively a town council).
- On 1 April, 1935, the separate Civil Parish of Sookholme was abolished and the 991 acres reabsorbed into Warsop Civil Parish.
- You may contact the Warsop Parish (or Town) Council regarding civic or political matters, but they are NOT staffed to assist you with family history searches.
- Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Warsop Town Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2018. The Hall is near the intersection of Church Street with Wood Street.
- District governance is provided by the Mansfield District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Mansfield petty session hearings held at the Mansfield Police Court every week.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1824.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Mansfield Poor Law Union.
Year Warsop Sookholme 1811 984 63 1851 1,350 48 1861 1,374 52 1871 1,486 117 1881 1,329 35 1901 2,132 55
- A Parish School was built in 1842 in Market Warsop and was enlarged in 1883 and again in 1908.
- A Public School for infants was built in 1906 to hold 360 children. Average attendance in 1912 was 320.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the Infants School in Hetts Lane on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2016.
- A fairly recent addition is The Meden School & Technology College on Burns Lane. The Meden School opened in 1965. You can find out more at the School Website.