White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
West Bridgford and Gamston
Bridgeford West, so called from its situation by the bridge over the Trent. It is a pleasant and well built village and parish on the south side of the Trent, one and a half miles south by east of Nottingham. The lordship contains 258 inhabutants and 1,190 acres of land, all belonging to John C. Musters Esq. (a minor), except one estate of 57 acres which is the property of Mr Clifford C. Caunt.
The church is dedicated to St Giles, and is a fine, ancient structure with tower and pinnacles, which appears to great advantage, peeping above the trees which surround it. The chancel was repaired at considerable expense in 1833. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £262. The benefice is a rectory valued in the King's books at £16 4s 2d, now at £388. J. Musters Esq. is the patron, and the Rev. Wm. Musters of Colwick is the rector, for whom the Rev. John Peatfield officiates.
The school here was built in 1802 by the Rev. Wm. Thompson, who endowed it with £902 stock for the education of ten poor children, seven from Bridgford and three from Gamston. The master received £15 a year. Bridgford also partakes of Dame Frances Pierrepont's charity.
Gamston is a small village and township in the Bingham Hundred, and partly in Holme Pierrepont parish, one mile east south east of West Bridgford, and contains 92 inhabitants and 530 acres of land.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]