White's Directory 1853
Winkburn parish, formerly Winkbourne, three and a half miles north of Southwell, has a small village pleasantly situated upon an eminence, which contains 137 inhabitants and 2,362a 1r 31p of land, including 380 acres of woods, of the rateable value of £1,900. Edward Valentine Pegge Burnell Esq. is the sole owner, and lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a handsome brick mansion, overlooking the vale of the little River Winkle, near the east end of the village. It has recently been enlarged and considerably improved, and has a diversified and well wooded park of 80 acres. The village has also undergone great improvement, by the removal of several dilapidated cottages, and the erection of ten ornamental ones in their place. It was anciently the property of St John of Jerusalem.
The church stands near the Hall. It is a small, ancient structure, and the tower, in which are tree bells, is completely covered with ivy. It has just been new roofed, and thoroughly cleaned and repaired at the expense of E.V. Pegge Burnell Esq., who is patron of the curacy, of which the Rev. P. Turton is incumbent. The living is a donative. In the chancel are several monuments to the ancestors of Mr Burnell. The Methodists have a chapel erected in 1814.
Holywell, Orchard Wood and Dilliner Wood are three farms, nearly two miles west of the church, and park Spring a farm one mile east. The school was built in 1738 by the Burnell family, who endowed it with 20 acres of land at Upton, now let for £25 per annum, to which Mr Burnell adds £5, for which the master teaches 14 free scholars.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]