White's Directory 1853
Winthorpe is a picturesque and well-built village, upon a richly wooded eminence above the Trent, 2 miles north-east by north or Newark. Its parish vontains 243 inhabitants and 680 acres of land, and the rateable value is £1,965. At the enclosure in 1757, 82 acres of land was awarded in lieu of tithes.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, stands in the highest part of the village. It was rebuilt of brick in 1778 and 1779, except the south wall. It is a neat, small structure, with a chancel and tower, in which are three bells. The living is a rectory, valued in the King;s books at £7 11s 0½d, now at £100. John Handley Esq. of North Muskham Grange is patron, and the Rev. William Handley M.A. the incumbent. A neat and handsome Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1840, at a cost of £150, and will seat about 120. Mr G.H. Gamble gave the ground and £50, and the rest was raised by subscription.
The Duke of Newcastle is lord of the manor, which was soc to Newark. Lord Middleton is the principal owner, who purchased the estate in 1832, of Slingsby Duncombe Esq. Winthorpe Hall is an elegant mansion of two storeys, on a rustic basement. It was the seat of the late Roger Pocklington Esq. It is now occupied by Grovernor Hodgkinson Esq., but is the property of Lord Middleton. The plantations and grounds are very extensive, and on a gentle rise. They command fine views, particularly over the Vale of Belvoir. There is an octagonal temple, with a table made out of the wrecks of the Spanish floating batteries destroyed in the memorable attack on Gibraltar.
In 1646, Thomas brewer left to the poor of Winthorpe £20, "and his new white house in the village with two ox-gangs of lands". This house and land was exchanged at the enclosure of 1770, for five tenements and gardens occupied by poor families, and 21 acres of land (including the great poor's close) let for £48 per annum, of which £10 is paid to the schoolmaster for teaching 12 free scholars, and the residue is distributed in coals and money to the poor parishioners.
Mr George Harrison Gamble has attached a steam engine of seven horse power to his windmill in 1846. In the School Garden there was a fine elm tree, supposed to be the largest in England, and upwards of 100 years old. In consequence of the schoolmaster and many of the inhabitants considering it dangerous from its decayed state, it was taken down on the 10th of March 1852, at which time it stood 98 feet high, measured 40 feet round the trunk, and contained 1,331 solid feet of timber. On the 13th of the same month and year a young plant from the old tree was planted by Miss handley, the eldest daughter of the present rector. The parish feast is on the last Sunday in June.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]