A Free Public Library and Technical Institute was opened in the Watson Road in 1902.
The Worksop Library in Memorial Ave. is a branch of the Nottingham County Council Library System. It is normally open 7 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting), but is closed until the summer of 2020 due to recent flooding in Worksop. There is a car park next to the library.
There is also the Balmoral Library on Princess Anne Road, Worksop. This Library was only open 2 days per week.
David MARTIN has a photograph of the Worksop Library on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2017.
- In 1866 a cemetery of 4 acres was laid out next to the churchyard on Prior's Well Road. It had two mortuary chapels.
- Steven RUFFLES has a photograph of the Prior's Well Road Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.
- Neil THEASBY has a photograph of a Wall of old gravestones at the Priory graveyard on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2016.
- In 1902 a new cemetery of 16 acres was laid out on Retford Road.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Cemetery chapel on Retford Road on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
- Both cemeteries would be under the control of the Burial Board of the Urban District Council.
- The parish was in the Worksop sub-district of the Worksop Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 852 1851 H.O. 107 / 2122 1861 R.G. 9 / 2418 & 2419 1871 R.G. 10 / 3458 through 3460 1891 R.G. 12 / 2643 & 2644
- The Priory of Saint Cuthbert and Saint Mary was founded here in 1120.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the gatehouse at Worksop Priory on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the inside of Worksop Priory nave on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2011.
- The town had two ecclesiastical parishes within the civil parish: St. Cuthbert and St. John.
- St. Cuthbert 's is approached through the Priory gate and was thoroughly restored in 1861.
- St. John's parish was formed in 1867 and a church with that dedication was built in 1868 on the east side of Gateford Road.
- St. John's seats 580.
- St. Anne's church was built in 1911 and opened in 1912.
- Ann B. has a photograph of St Anne's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2006.
- Christ Church is a modern building in the parish of St John, built 1992 on Thievesdale Close and consecrated in January 1993.
- St. Paul's Church is a in a parish formed in 1953 from the priory parish. Services began in a wooden hut in 1954. The hut was replaced by a brick church in 1956.
- The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish for the period 1558-1857.
- The Anglican parish register for St. Cuthbert dates from 1558.
- The Anglican parish register for St. John dates from 1868.
- The Anglican churches would be in the rural deanery of Worksop.
- The United Methodist Free Church was built here in 1837 on Potter Street.
- A Catholic chapel was built here on Park Street in 1840. It is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin.
- In 1863 the Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in Bridge Street.
- In 1830 the Congregationalist Church was built in Westagte. (this was vacant in 1881).
- In 1879 the Primitive Methodist chapel was built on Chapel Street.
- The parish was in the Worksop sub-district of the Worksop Registration District.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
This market town and parish are 147 miles north of London, 18 miles east of Sheffield, 12 miles north-east of Mansfield and about 5.5 miles west of Retford, on the north edge of Sherwood Forest. The parish indludes the hamlet of Kilton, where the sewage works were built, and covers just under 18,000 acres, making it the largest parish in Nottingham county. Manton and Rayton or Ryton are hamlets just to the east of Worksop. Sparken Hill is a half mile south of Worksop.
Osberton is a Lordship 3 miles to the east within the parish. Gateford is a hamlet and constablewick on the Sheffield Road two miles NNW of Worksop village and still within the parish boundaries. If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, the town lies on the A57 trunk road, west off of the A1 motorway.
- Ben BROOKBANK takes you back in time to 1957 with his photograph of Worksop Station, with train from Nottingham on Geo-graph, taken in June 1957.
- Kilton Forest Golf Course is just to the north of the town.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Worksop Town Sign on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2015.
- We have an extract from White's 1853 Directory relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Worksop to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Worksop has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The town has an ancient market cross from 1160. Only the shaft and the steps remain.
- In 2007, the town was flooded by one the worst floods in a century. The River Ryton received 72mm (around 3 inches) of rain in 24 hours.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK595788 (Lat/Lon: 53.302816, -1.108619), Worksop which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A 5-bed Victoria Hospital founded in 1897 opened here in 1900. It was enlarged in 1912 to 26 beds. This hospital became part of the NHS in 1948 and was demolished in 1996.
- The Bassetlaw District Hospital started out in 1902 as Worksop's Poor Law Infirmary. Parts of this building still exist. In 1984, construction started on a modern Bassetlaw Hospital and finished in 1987. The Hospital joined with Doncaster Hospital as a part of the NHS in 2001.
- Hospitals were exempt from archiving laws relating to patient records.
- In 1881, G Company of the 2nd Nottinghamshire Rifle Volunteers was here on Hill Street. Captain Edward H. NICHOLSON was Commandant; George F. LAYHE, sergeant-instructor.
- In 1904, G Company of the 4th Nottinghamshire Rifle Volunteers was here on Potter Street. Captain E. TYLDEN-WRIGHT was Commandant; John ELLIOT, drill-instructor.
- John M. has a photograph of the Old Drill Hall on Shaw Street on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
- A War Memorial was built in 1925 to honour the men of Worksop who fell in World War I.
- Jonathan CLITHEROE has a photograph of a Memorial next to St. Anne's Church on Newcastle Avenue on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2016. The web page author is uncertain if this is a War Memorial or simply an ancient preaching cross, but it has all the characteristics of a War Memorial. Documentation tells me it was unveiled in 1920.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Worksop War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
- Christine JOHNSTONE has a different view of the Worksop War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2011.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the Memorial Avenue Gardens on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016. The gardens were created in 1937 in remembrance of the men of Worksop who died during WWI.
There is a War Memorial in Worksop Priory. For the list of names on it, see the Nottinghamshire County Council site.
There is also a War Memorial in outside St. Anne's Church. For the list of names on it, see the Nottinghamshire County Council site.
These are the names inscribed on the Worksop Cenotaph war memorial - eastern plaque - above. These are men whose names were omitted when the town Cenotaph's lists were compiled in the early 1920s:
- The town had an older newspaper, "Worksop Today", that has merged into the Worksop Guardian newspaper.
- You can find local news, obituaries and even nostalgia pieces in the Worksop Guardian.
- Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this notice from the Derby Mercury of 24 February 1803: "MARRIED: On Monday last at Worksop, Nottinghamshire, Mr. John WEATHERHEAD, of this town (Derby), ironmonger, to Miss PARKER, of the former place."
- This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county, and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the Hatfield division of the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake (Hundred) in the northern division of the county.
- In 1894 the town formed an Urban District Council.
- There is no local town council. Town civic and political affairs are the venue of the District Council.
- District governance is provided by the Bassetlaw District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Worksop petty session hearings. These were held every other Wednesday at Noon at the police station on Potter Street.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became the heart of the Worksop Poor Law Union.
Year Inhabitants 1801 3,263 1851 7,215 1871 10,409 1881 11,625 1891 12,734 1901 16,112 1911 20,387
- A Catholic School was built on Park Street, not far from the Catholic Chapel, in 1840. In 1881, Miss Margaret ENGLAND was the schoolmistress.
- In 1881 there was a National School for boys on Potter Street. William Henry JALLAND was the schoolmaster.
- In 1881 there was a National School for girls on Prior's Walk Road. Miss Emma DAWBER was the schoolmistress.
- In 1881 the "Rectory" was an Infant School on Potter Street. Miss Harriet BUTLER was the schoolmistress.
- In 1881 St. John's Boys School was on Dock Road. Anthony COOK was the schoolmaster.
- Nathaniel WOODARD founded St Cuthbert's College in 1890. St Cuthbert's College is now Worksop College, located just south of Worksop. Their website is: Worksop College where there are links to the history re the Woodard Trust.