"WHITWELL, a parish in the hundred of ALSTOE, county of RUTLAND, 4 miles (E.) from Oakham, containing 112 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Northampton, and diocese of Peterborough, rated in the king's books at £5, and in the patronage of Sir G. Noel Noel, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. A small mound in the neighbourhood, bearing the name of Robin Hood's Cave; is supposed to have been a retreat of that celebrated outlaw." [Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whitwell to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whitwell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK919085 (Lat/Lon: 52.666681, -0.642485), Whitwell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)