"ABDON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, a short distance from Bridgnorth, and 10 miles N. of Ludlow, which is a market town and railway station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway. It is situated near the foot of the Clee hills, and looks out upon Corve Dale, through which flows the small river Corve. The living, a discharged rectory,* value £147, is in the diocese of Hereford, and in the patronage of Lord Herbert. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret." [Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Abdon provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Abdon parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Abdon parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Abdon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Abdon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO577863 (Lat/Lon: 52.472983, -2.624162), Abdon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)