" ALVELEY, a parish comprising the liberty of Romsley, within the liberty of BRIDGENORTH, and the township of King's Nordley, in the hundred of STOTTESDEN, county of SALOP, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Bridgenorth, containing 975 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, within the jurisdiction of the court of the royal peculiar of Bridgenorth, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of T. Whitmore, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Alveley was one of the five prebends in the royal free chapel of the castle of Bridgenorth, having been valued, in the reign of Henry III., at sixty marks, and is still reputed and rated as such in the Office of the First Fruits. A free school was endowed, in 1616, by John Grove, who also founded almshouses for decayed labourers: the school is free to all poor children of the parish, and the master has a salary of £20 per annum, and the use of the school-house."
" NORDLEY (KING'S), a township in that part of the parish of ALVELEY, which is in the hundred of STOTTESDEN, county of SALOP, 5 miles (S. E.) from Bridgenorth. The population is returned with the parish."
" ROMSLEY, a liberty in that part of the parish of ALVELEY, which is in the borough of BRIDGENORTH, county of SALOP, 8 miles (S. E.) from Bridgenorth, containing 144 inhabitants."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]