Baschurch

Primary tabs

"BASCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of Pimhill, in the county of Salop, 7½ miles to the N.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town. It is a station on the Chester and Shrewsbury railway. The Ellesmere canal passes through the parish, which contains the chapelry of Little Ness and numerous townships The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, of the value of £203, with 14 acres of glebe land in Baschurch, and 32 acres in Little Ness, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an old stone structure. Besides the parish church there is a district church at Weston Lullingfield, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £210, in the patronage of Miss C. Barrett. The parish has the benefit of an endowment by Eleanor Harris in 1716, for the education and clothing of poor children, the yearly produce of which is now about £324. There are other small charities. The parish comprises an area of about 8,273 acres, exclusive of Little Ness, chiefly the property of Rowland Hunt, Esq., who is lord of the manor." [Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Baschurch area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Baschurch which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • ADCOT, a township in the chapelry of Little Ness, parish of Baschurch and hundred of Pimhill, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the N.W. of Shrewsbury. The river Perry flows near the township.
  • BIRCH, a township in the parish of Baschurch, hundred of Pimhill, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the N.W. of Shrewsbury.
  • BOREATTON, (or Bratton), a township in the parish of Baschurch, and hundred of Pimhill, in the county of Salop, 8 miles to the N.W. of Shrewsbury. Baschurch is a station on the Chester and Shrewsbury railway. The township lies on the banks of the river Perry. In the vicinity are Bratton Hall and Bratton Park.
  • EYTON, a township in the parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Wem.
  • FENNEMERE, a township in the parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury.
  • FENNYMERE, a township in the parish of Baschurch, hundred of Pim Hill, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury.
  • LITTLE NESS, a chapelry in the parish of Baschurch, hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 2½ miles S. of the Baschurch railway station. The chapelry comprises the townships of Little Ness, Adcot, and Milford. The chapel is an ancient edifice with a gable containing one bell. The interior of the chapel has a stone font of great antiquity.
  • MEREHOUSE, (or Murhouse), a township in the parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of-Shrewsbury.
  • MILFORD, a township in the chapelry of Little Ness, parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, and 1 mile E.N.E. of Great Ness.
  • NEWTOWN, a township in the parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury.
  • PRESCOTT, a township in the parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury.
  • STANWARDINE-IN-THE-WOOD, (and Standwardine in the fields) townships in the parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Wem.
  • WALFORD, a township in the parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury.
  • WESTON-LULLINGFIELD, a township in the parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, on a branch of the Ellesmere canal.
  • YEATON, a township in the parish of Baschurch, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, on the river Perry."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Baschurch to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Baschurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup