BATTLEFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
" BATTLEFIELD, a parish in the liberties of SHREWSBURY, county of SALOP, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Shrewsbury, containing 64 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Co\ entry, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £HOO royal bounty, and in the patronage of J. Corbett, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. A fair for horned cattle and sheep is held on the 2nd of August. This place derives its name from a sanguinary battle fought here, on the 22nd of July, 1403, between Henry IV. and the rebels under Percy, Earl of Northumberland, in. which nearly two thousand three hundred gentlemen (among whom was Lord Henry Percy, the valiant Hotspur), and about six hundred private soldiers, were slain. Henry, in grateful commemoration of the victory, immediately founded on the spot a college for Secular clerks, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was £54. 10. 4."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]