"BECKBURY, a parish in the hundred of Brimstree, in the county of Salop, 4 miles to the S. of Shiffnall, its post and market town. The village is small, but pleasantly situated on the river Worf, about 3 miles from the Shrewsbury and Chester branch of the Great Western railway, which has a station at Shiffnall. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value of £350, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Milburgh, was built in the reign of William and Mary, and contains a curious monument to the Caynton family, besides several brasses. In 1856, when the church was repaired, a new aisle was added. There is a National school. In the vicinity is Caynton House, the seat of the Hon. Colonel Legge. It is an elegant modern mansion in the Italian style, surrounded by tastefully laid out grounds."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Beckbury parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Beckbury parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Beckbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Beckbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ765016 (Lat/Lon: 52.611663, -2.348487), Beckbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)