BISHOP'S CASTLE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
" BISHOP'S-CASTLE, (Salop) 117 cm. and 150 mm. from London, is a small T. on the r. Clun; but an old corp. which has its name, because it bel. heretofore to the Bps. of Hereford, in whose diocese it lies, 'till it was alienated from them by Q. Eliz. and granted to Sir Christopher Hatton, with the priviledge of choosing members of Pt. to which it made the first return in the 27th of her R. The corp. consists of a bailiff, recorder, and 15 ald. Its Mt. on F. is noted for cattle, and all sorts of commodities, and much frequented by the Welsh, as are its Fairs on F. before Good-Fr. June 24, Aug. 29, Nov. 2."
[Transcribed information from England's Gazetteer - Stephen Whatley - 1750] (unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]