"BROMFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Lower Munslow, in the county of Salop, 2 miles to the N.W. of Ludlow. It is a station on the Newport section of the West Midland railway. The parish is situated on the banks of the river Onney, near its confluence with the Teme, and formerly contained the chapelry of Halford, with the township of Dinchope, now constituting a distinct parish A college of secular canons was established here at a very early period, and was converted in the 12th century into a priory of the Benedictine order, subordinate to the abbey of Gloucester. It flourished till the Dissolution, when it was valued at about £79. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value of £334, in the patronage of Lady Windsor Clive. The church, part of that which belonged to the priory, is dedicated to St. Mary. It is an ancient stone building with square tower, of different styles of architecture, and was repaired in 1850. The parochial charities are worth £3 a year. South of the village is Okeley Park, the seat of Lady Windsor Clive; it is an elegant mansion of modern construction. The Teme winds through the picturesque grounds, which command a good view of the castle and town of Ludlow. Over the old gateway of the Priory is a fine old room, now used for the parish school, which is supported by Lady Clive."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Bromfield provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Bromfield parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Bromfield parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- DINCHOPE, a township in the chapelry of Halford and parish of Bromfield, in the county of Salop, 5 miles S. of Church Stretton.
- HALFORD, a chapelry in the parish of Bromfield, hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Ludlow. It is situated on the river Ouney, and contains the township of Dinchope. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Hereford.
- HALTON LADY and HALTON PRIORS, townships in the parish of Bromfield, county Salop, 2 miles W. of Ludlow. They are situated on the banks of the Teme, under Halton Hill.
- OAKLEY PARK, a seat of Earl Powis, in the parish of Bromfield, in the hundred of Muselow, county Salop. It is situated on the river Teme, and contains some paintings."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bromfield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bromfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO481769 (Lat/Lon: 52.387654, -2.764016), Bromfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)