"BROMFIELD, a parish in the hundred of MUNSLOW, county of SALOP, comprising the chapelry of Halford, and the townships of Bromfield and Dinehope, and containing 674 inhabitants, of which number, 540 are in the township of Bromfield, 3 miles (N.W. by W.) from Lud: low. ' The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at A 6, and in the patronage of the Earl of Powis. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is part of a larger conventual church, that belonged to a Benedictine priory, founded as a cell to the abbey of St. Peter at Gloucester, about 1155, on the site of a college of prebendaries, or Secular canons, of earlier foundation: its revenue, at the dissolution, was £78. 19. 4.: a small portion of the ruins is included within the grounds of Oakley Park."
" DINCHOPE, a township in the parish of BROMFIELD, hundred of MUNSLOW, county of SALOP, 7 miles (N.W, byN.) from Ludlow, containing 83 inhabitants."
" HALFORD, a chapelry in the parish of BROMFIELD, hundred of MUNSLOW, county of SALOP, 8 miles (N.W. byN.) from Ludlow, containing 51 inhabitants."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831] (unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]