"BURFORD, a parish in the hundred of Overs, in the county of Salop, 1 mile to the W. of Tenbury, 5 miles from Wooferton railway station, and 82 miles from Ludlow. It is situated on the confines of Worcestershire, on the banks of the river Teme, near the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, and contains the townships of Boraston, Burford, Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton. It was formerly a market town under a grant obtained from Henry III. The parish is crossed by the Kington canal, and is partly laid out in hop-grounds. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, in three portions: the first, value with the perpetual curacies of Boraston and Nash, 1460; the second, value with the perpetual curacy of Whitton, 2286; and the third, value £335, all in the patronage of Lord Northwick. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a brass and several monuments to the Cornwalls, who long had their seat hero. Besides the parish church there are two chapels of ease, viz., Boraston and Nash; also two schools, one at Burford and the other at Nash. The parochial charities are worth £10 a year. Burford House is the chief residence." [Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Burford provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Burford parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Burford parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- BORASTON, (or Buraston), a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, in the county of Salop, 1 mile from Tenbury.
- GREET, a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, county Salop, 1 mile S.E. of the above. It is situated on the river Teme,
- NASH, a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, county Salop, 2 miles N. by E. of Tenbury, its post town. Together with Tilsop and Weston it forms a chapelry. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Burford, in the diocese of Hereford.
- STOKE, a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Over, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Tenbury.
- TILSOP, a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, county Salop, 4 miles S.W. of Cleobury-Mortimer, on a branch of the river Teme.
- WESTON, a chapelry in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, county Salop, 5 miles S.E. of Ludlow, and 2 N. of Tenbury.
- WHATMORE, a township in the parish of Burford, county Salop, 1 mile W. of Tenbury.
- WHITTON, a chapelry in the parish of Burford, county Salop, 4 miles N.W. of Tenbury, and 4 S.E. of Ludlow."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Burford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO595688 (Lat/Lon: 52.315802, -2.595542), Burford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)