CARDINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1824.

"CARDINGTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 124 houses, 687 inhabitants. 11½ miles north of Shrewsbury. Cardington produces a qunrtz, and clay, the former of which is said to he superior to that imported from Ceerearronshire, for the use of the Staffordshire potteries."

" BROOM, a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover. 6 miles south-west of Much Wenlock."

" CHATWELL (or CHATWALL), a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 4 miles north-east of Church Stretton.

" CHURCH PREEN, a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover, a chapelry, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 13 houses, 73 inhabitants. 10½ miles south south-west of Shrewsbury."

" COMLEY, a township in the parish of Cardington, in the hundred of Condover."

" COURLEY (and BOTEVYLE), a township in the parishes of Church Stretton and Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 2 miles north-east of Church Stretton."

" ENCHMARSH (and CHATWALL), a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Muuslow. Enchmarsh is 8½ miles north-east, and Chatwall, 4½ miles north-east of Church Stretton."

" HOLT PREEN, a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the hundred of Condover."

" LEIGHTON, a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow."

" LYDLEYSHAYS, a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, 4 miles north- east of Church Stretton."

" PLASH, a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 6 miles northeast of Church Stretton."

" PLUSH, a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow."

" RUCKLEY and BROOM, a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover. 17 houses, 75 inhabitants. Buckley is 7 miles north-east, and Broom 5 miles north-east of Church Stretton."

" WILSTON, a township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 3 miles north-east of Church Stratton."

[Transcribed information from A Gazetteer of Shropshire - T Gregory - 1824](unless otherwise stated)

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]