"CARDISTON, (or CARDESTON), a parish in the hundred of Ford, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the W. of Shrewsbury. It is situated near the river Severn, in a district containing coal and limestone, and includes the township of Wattlesborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £274, in the patronage of Sir B. Leighton, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Michael." WATTLESBOROUGH, a township in the parish of Cardiston, hundred of Ford, county Salop, 8 miles W. of Shrewsbury. It was once a Roman station."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A private census including Cardiston.
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Cardeston provided by Mel Lockie. This also includes the Bishop's Transcripts.
- A transcript of the Cardiston parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Cardiston parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- A transcript of the Cardiston parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Gazetteer of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cardiston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cardiston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ396123 (Lat/Lon: 52.704983, -2.895349), Cardiston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)