"CHELMARSH, a parish in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesdon, in the county of Salop, 32 miles S. of Bridgnorth, its post town. It is situated on the river Severn, which bounds it on the E. The Severn Valley branch of the West Midland railway passes near the village, and has a station at Bridgnorth. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £250, in the patronage of Sir T. G. S. Sebright, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone edifice with tower and fine stained-glass windows. There is a National school. J. Nicholls, Esq., is lord of the manor, and resides at Chelmarsh House."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Chelmarsh provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Chelmarsh parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Chelmarsh parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- A transcript of the Chelmarsh parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Gazetteer of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chelmarsh to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chelmarsh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO721878 (Lat/Lon: 52.487397, -2.412301), Chelmarsh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)