"CLUNGUNFORD, (or Clungerford), a parish in the hundred of Purslow, in the county of Salop, 6½ miles E. of Clun, and 4 from the Craven Arms railway station. Shrewsbury is its post town. It is situated near Watling Street and the river Clun, and contains the townships of Abcott, Beckjay, Broadward, Broom, and Shelderton. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £530, in the patronage of the Rev. J. Rocke. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is an ancient stone structure in the early decorated style. There are two Dissenting chapels, and endowed schools for boys and girls. The parochial charities produce about £58 per annum. The principal residences are Broadward Hall and Clungunford House, the latter occupied by John Rocke, Esq., who is lord of the manor. In the vicinity is a barrow and some supposed Druidical remains.[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Clungunford parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Clungunford parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " ABCOTT, a township in the parish of Clungunford and hundred of Purslow, in Shropshire, 8 miles to the N.W. of Ludlow. It is divided from Clungunford by the river Chin, which is famous for trout."
- " BECKJAY, a township in the parish of Clungunford, hundred of Purslow, in the county of Salop, 8 miles to the W. of Ludlow."
- " BROAD WARD, a township in the parish of Clungunford, hundred of Clan, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the W. of Ludlow. It is situated near the river Chin. In the vicinity is Broadward Hall."
- " BROOM, a township united with Rowton, in the parishes of Clungunford, Hopesay, and Stokesay, hundred of Purslow, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the S.E. of Bishop's Castle."
- " ROWTON, a township in the parishes of Clungunford, Hopesay, and Stokesay, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Ludlow. It is in conjunction with Broom."
- " SHELDERTON, a township in the parish of Clungunford, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Ludlow."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clungunford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clungunford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO398787 (Lat/Lon: 52.402983, -2.886281), Clungunford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)