"CONDOVER, a parish in the hundred of Condover, in the county of Salop, 4 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town. It has a station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway. It is situated on a branch of the Severn, and contains the townships and hamlets of Bay stop, Boreton, Chatford, High and Low Condover, Dorrington, Lyth, Ryton, Westley, and Wheathall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, value £258, in the patronage of E.W. Owen, Esq., who is also lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone structure, chiefly in the Norman style. In addition to the parish church there is a district church at Dorrington, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £127, in the patronage of T. H. Edwards, Esq. There is an endowed school. The parochial charities produce £25 per annum, and the church lands, which are also applied to parochial purposes, £31. Condover Hall was built by Chief Justice Owen about 1590."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Condover parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Condover parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- "BAYSTON, a township in the parishes of Condover and Shrewsbury St. Julian, hundred of Condover, in the county of Salop, 3 miles from Shrewsbury. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £30, in the patronage of the Curate of St. Julian's.
- " CHATFORD, a township in the parish of Condover, in the county of Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
- " DORRINGTON, a township in the parish and hundred of Condover, in the county of Salop, 7 miles S. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 6 N. of Church Stretton. It is a railway station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford line. The village is situated on a branch of the river Severn, in the neighbourhood of the Lawley, Caradoc, and Longmynd hills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £127, in the patronage of T. H. Hope Edwardes, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Edward, is a recent structure. The charities amount to £5 per annum. The Independents have a chapel, and there is a school for girls. E. Owen, Esq., is lord of the manor."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Condover to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Condover has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ495058 (Lat/Lon: 52.647572, -2.747847), Condover which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)