Cound

Primary tabs

"COUND, a parish in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover, in the county of Salop, 5 miles N. W. of Much Wenlock, and 6 S.E, of Shrewsbury, its post town. It is situated near the river Severn, and contains the township of Cressage. Some of the inhabitants, are engaged in the collieries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, value with the curacy of Cressage annexed, £906, in the patronage of the Rev. H. T. Pelham. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient building, with tower, containing a good peal of bells. It contains several monuments, and a richly carved pulpit. The charities amount to £12 per annum."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

topup

Church Records

  • The transcription of the Parish Registers for Cound provided by Mel Lockie. 
  • The transcription of the Parish Registers for Cressage provided by Mel Lockie. 
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Cound which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • " CRESSAGE, a chapelry in the parish of Cound, hundred of Condover, in the county of Salop, 2½ miles N. W. of Much Wenlock, and 8 S.E. of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the river Severn, near the bridge. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, annexed to the rectory of Cound. The church, dedicated to Christ, is a modern stone structure. The charities amount to £1 10s. per annum. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school. The principal residences are Cressage Park and Belleurdine Hall, the seat of Sir G. Harnage, Bart. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cound to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Cound has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup