Description from Cassell's Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1899
Transcription by Brian Willey © 2005
Parish of South Salop, 4½ miles north-east of Shifnal; acreage, 2,641. Soil loamy, overlying clay, marl, and red sandstone. The church of St Cuthbert is Gothic and has a 17th century oak roof. The water of St Cuthbert's well is considered good for the eyes. Kilsall Hall, Neachley Hall, and Shackerley Hall are seats. Nearest railway station: Albrighton 1 mile. Distance from London: 149 miles. Population: 379 (Census 1891)
Note: Besides the parish of Donington, there are also the following 3 townships/places
in Shropshire, also named Don(n)ington.
Township and village; parish of Lilleshall, East Salop, 4 miles south-west of Newport. Near the station are large iron works, employing nearly 800 men, and there are collieries. There is a Mechanics' Institute and a reading room with library.
Ecclesiastical parish formed from the parish of Lilleshall, North Salop, 2 miles south-west of Lilleshall. The church of St Matthew is of Perpendicular style. Coal and ironstone are worked. Nearest railway station: Donnington 1 mile. Distance from London 149 miles. Population: 1,634 (Census 1891)
Township, parish of Wroxeter, South Salop, 5½ miles south-west of Wellington. Here is a free school, founded in 1627.
[Content dated 1892]
[Transcribed by Brian Willey in July 2005.