"EATON, (or Eaton-under-haywood), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 5 miles S.E. of Church Stretton, its post town and railway station. This parish formed part of the domains of Wenlock Abbey. It is situated on Eaton Brook, a tributary of the river Onny, and contains the hamlets of Hatton, Hungerford, Lushcott-Longville, Upper Millichope, and Ticklerton. The surface is hilly, and partially covered with heath, the rest is pasture. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £280, in the patronage of H. Sandford, Esq. The church, which is dedicated to St. Edith, is very ancient; the roof of the chancel is of oak, richly embellished. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge, and the glebe comprises about 150 acres. "[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Eaton Under Heywood provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Eaton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Eaton parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- "HATTON, a township in the parish of Eaton, county Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Church Stretton."
- " HUNGERFORD, a township in the parishes of Eaton and Munslow, county Salop, 6 miles S.E. of Church Stretton. It is situated on the river Corve."
- " LONGVILLE, a township in the parish of Eaton, county Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Much Wenlock. It is situated at the foot of Wenlock Edge, and is united with Lushcott and East Wall."
- " LUSHCOTT, a township united with Longville, in the parish of Eaton, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Much Wenlock. It is situated on Wenlock Edge."
- " TICKLERTON, a township in the parish of Eaton, county Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Church Stretton. The United Pack hounds are kennelled here."
- " UPPER MILLICHOPE, a township in the parish of Eaton, county Salop, 1 mile W. of Church Stretton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eaton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Eaton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO500890 (Lat/Lon: 52.496602, -2.737917), Eaton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)