"EDGMOND, a parish in the Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, county Salop, 2 miles N.W. of Newport, its post town and railway station on the Shropshire Union line, and 8 N.E. of Wellington. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the Union canal, on the road between Newport and Shrewsbury. The parish is of large extent, and contains the townships of Adney, Buttery, Calvington, Caynton, Cherrington, Chetwynd-Aston, Church-Aston, Edgmond, Pickstock, Standford, and Tibberton. Limestone is extensively quarried and burnt into lime, and there are quarries of good red sandstone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £2,600. The parish church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure, in the Gothic style of architecture, with tower and stained-glass windows. There are also the following district churches, viz. Aston and Tibberton, both of which are perpetual curacies, and in the patronage of the rector, the latter being value £100. The parochial charities produce nearly £80 per annum, £10 of which is for Pigott's school. There is a National school for both sexes. J. B. Borough and R. M. Leeke, Esqs., are the lords of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Edgmond parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Edgmond parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- "ADENEY, a township in the parish of Edgmond, hundred of South Bradford, in the county of Salop, 1 mile S.W. of Edgmond, and 3 from Newport. It is situated on the Shropshire Union canal. The manor belongs to Lady Tyrwhitt, who is the sole landowner. Bricks and tiles are made here.
- "CAYNTON, a township in the parish of Edgmond, in the county of Salop, 3 miles W. of Newport."
- "CHERRINGTEN, a township in the parish of Edgmond, Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, in the county of Salop, 5 miles W. of Newport."
- "CHETWYND ASTON, (or Field Aston), a township in the parish of Edgmond, in the Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, in the county of Salop, 1 mile S. of Newport, its post town and railway station. It gives name to Viscount Chetwynd, of North Aston, whose family held it before the time of Henry III.
- "CHURCH-ASTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Edgmond, hundred of South Bradford, in the county of Salop, 1 mile S. of Newport, its post town and railway station. There are some valuable quarries. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Edgmond, in the diocese of Lichfield, in the patronage of the Rev. J. D. Pigott. The church is a neat building with a tower. There are National schools for boys and girls. R. M. Leeke, Esq., is lord of the manor."
- "PICKSTOCK, a township in the parishes of Chetwynd and Edgmond, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Newport. It is situated on the river Mees, near Pickstock Grange."
- "TIBBERTON, a chapelry in the parish of Edgmond, Newport division of South Bradford hundred, county Salop, 4 miles N.W. of Newport. The village is situated on the river Mees. In the vicinity is a paper-mill. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £100, in the patronage of the Rector of Edgmond. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1842. There is a National school. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Edgmond to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Edgmond has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ724194 (Lat/Lon: 52.77148, -2.410535), Edgmond which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)