"FRODESLEY, a parish in the hundred of Condover, county Salop, 6 miles N.E. of Church Stretton, and 8 S.E. of Shrewsbury, its post town. The Dorrington railway station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford line is 4 miles to the N.W. of the village. It is situated at the base and on the N. side of a lofty hill, from the summit of which is an extensive view. Watling Street passes through the parish. Brick and tile making is carried on. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £370. The church is a structure of the present century erected on the site of the ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Mark. The register commences in 1547. There are some small charities. The rectory was the birth-place of Major Herbert Edwardes, of Indian celebrity, who fought the battle of Mooltan. Frodesley Hall is now a farmhouse. In this parish is a votive altar, inscribed in Roman characters, with the name L. Caractacus. It is nearly a cube, supported on a pedestal."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Frodesley provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Frodesley parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Frodesley parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Frodesley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Frodesley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ513013 (Lat/Lon: 52.607286, -2.720579), Frodesley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)