"GREAT BOLAS, a parish in the south division of the hundred of Bradford, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the W. of Newport. Wellington is its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Tern, and includes the township of Meeson. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, of the value of £304, in the patronage of Viscount Hill. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There are some parochial charities of trifling amount."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Great Bolas provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the GreatBolas parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the GreatBolas parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- MEESON, a township in the parish of Great Bolas, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Newport. It is situated on the river Mees, which rises near Woodcotes, flowing N.W. and W. to the Tern at Great Bolas."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Bolas to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Bolas has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ640210 (Lat/Lon: 52.785367, -2.535213), Great Bolas which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)