GREAT NESS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1824.

"GREAT NESS, a parish in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 104 houses, 580 inhabitants. 7 miles north-west of Shrewsbury. The residence of T.P. Bather, Esq., and J. Edwards, Esq."

" ADCOT, a township in the parish of Great Ness, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill. 7 miles north-west of Shrewsbury."

" ALDERTON, a township in the parish of Great Ness, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill. 7 miles north- west by west of Shrewsbury."

" FELTON BUTLER, a township in the parish of Great Ness, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill. 7 miles northwest of Shrewsbury."

" HOPTON, a township in the parish of Great Ness, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill."

" KINTON, a township in the parish of Great Ness, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill. 9 miles northwest of Shrewsbury."

" NESSCLIFF, a township in the parish of Great Ness, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill; the chapel which was in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop, is dilapidated, and a school now occupies its place. 8 miles north-west of Shrewsbury.

This village is remarkable for a Cave in its rock, called Kynaston's Cave, so named from the eccentrick exploits of Humphrey Kynaston, son of Sir Roger Kynaston, of Hordley. See Kynaston's Cave.

The top of Nesscliff rock is occupied by a beautiful wood, and the steep sides are marked with deep waved regular furrows, like those which have been exposed to the dashing of the sea. Upon the front of the publick school is the following singular inscription:-

" God protect the publick good,
" A school erected where a chapel stood."

The red stone of which the Castle, Abbey, Town Walls, and most other old buildings in this are formed, was in all probability brought from this place."

" WILCOT, a township in the parish of Great Ness, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimbill. 8½ miles north- west of Shrewsbury."

[Transcribed information from A Gazetteer of Shropshire - T Gregory - 1824](unless otherwise stated)

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]