"GREAT NESS, a parish in the hundred of PIMHILL, county of SALOP, 7 miles (N.w. by w.) from Shrewsbury, containing, with the chapelry of Little Ness, 833 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicar age, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Liehfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £o and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. At Nesscliff there was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, the site of which is now occupied by the parish school, which -was founded by William Parry, in 1767, and is supported by several small bequests subsequently made. Near it is a remarkable cave, the ascent to which is by a very steep flight of steps. The interior is divided into two apartments by a massive pillar of the rock upon which is carved the date 1564, and H.K., the initials of the name of the celebrated outlaw, Humphrey Kynaston, son of Sir Roger Kynaston, of Hordley, who, having contracted enormous debts, and suffered his mansion, Middle castle, to fall into decay, is stated to have sheltered himself in this cave, leading an eccentric life, and committing various depredations in the neighbourhood. The parish contains fine red freestone, of which it is said the castle, abbey, walls, and other-buildings, in Shrewsbury were composed."
" LITTLE NESS, a chapelry in the parish of GREAT NESS, hundred of PIMHILL, county of SALOP, 8 miles (N. W.) from Shrewsbury, containing 253 inhabitants."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]