HARLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1824.
"HARLEY, a parish partly in the franchise of Wenlock, and partly in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover, a rectory, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 47 houses, 235 inhabitants. 10½ miles south- east of Shrewsbury.
The Rev. Benjamin Jenks, who was born either here or in some other part of Shropshire, in the year 1646, held the rectory of Harley fifty six years. He was a most exemplary and pious divine, and appears from the dedication of his books of devotion to Lord Bradford, to have been distantly allied to that family, for he claims kindred with the nobleman whom he addresses. He died in 1724. His works are, 1. Prayers and Offices of Devotion, for families, 12mo., a work once very popular, and even now, not uncommon. 2. Meditations on various important subjects, 5 vols. 8vo."
" BLAKEWAY FARM, a township in the parish of Harley, and in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover."
[Transcribed information from A Gazetteer of Shropshire - T Gregory - 1824](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]