"HINSTOCK, a parish in the Drayton division of the hundred of BRADFORD (North), county of SALOP, 8 miles (N. W. by N.) from Newport, containing 671 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £5. 16., and in the patronage of the Rev. H. C. Cotton during his lifetime, and afterwards in that of the Trustees of the late Sir C. Corbet, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. There is a chalybeate sulphureous spring in the parish; also vestiges of an ancient castle."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]