"HODNET, a parish in the Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Market Drayton, its post town, 7 from Wem, and 12 N. of Wellington. It is situated on the river Tern, and on the road from Shrewsbury to Market Drayton. The parish is of large extent, containing the chapelry and township of Weston, with 12 other townships. It was formerly a market town, and is mentioned in Domesday Book as Odenett, whence it gave name to the hundred. It was held by Roger Montgomery, and afterwards came to the Ludlows, Vernons, &c. The greater part of the land is arable, the remainder pasture and woodland, with a small extent of common. The soil is rich, and the land well cultivated. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £1,884. The church, dedicated to St. Luke, is an ancient stone structure, with an octagon tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains some stained windows, and monuments to the Vernons, Hills of Hawkstone, and a tablet to Bishop Heber, who was rector of this parish above fifteen years. There are also two chapels-of-ease-one at Weston-under-Red-Castle, and the other at Peplow. The parochial charities produce about £138 per annum. The Independents have a place of worship. There is a National school, also an endowed school. A. C. Heber Percy, Esq., is lord of the manor, and he and Lord Hill are the chief landowners. Lord Clive and Bishop Heber were both natives of this parish. Fairs are held on the Monday prior to the second Wednesday in March, 4th May, and the Monday prior to 24th October for cattle."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Hodnet parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Hodnet parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- A transcript of the Hodnet parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Gazetteer of England,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- "HAWKSTONE, a township in the parish of Hodnet, county Salop, 4 miles E. of Wem. The chief residence is Hawkstone Park, the seat of Viscount Hill, containing several paintings by ancient masters, with the portraits of William III., Marlborough, and others. In the grounds are the Swiss bridge, a pillar 112 feet high, commanding a view of twelve counties, the tower, a lake 2 miles long, the grotto and retreat caverns, the ruins of Red Castle, and a Roman camp covering 20 acres."
- " HOPTON, a township in the parish of Hodnet, county Salop, 5 miles S.E. of Wem."
- " KENSTONE, a township in the parish of Hodnet, county Salop, 5 miles E. of Wem."
- " LITTLE BOLAS, a township in the parish of Hodnet, hundred of Bradford, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the N. W. of Great Bolas.
- " LOSFORD, a township in the parish of Hodnet, county Salop, 3 miles S.W. of Market Drayton. It is watered by the river Tern."
- " MARCHAMLEY, a township in the parish of Hodnet, county Salop, 5 miles E. of Wem."
- " PEPLOW, a township in the parish of Hodnet, county Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Market Drayton."
- " WESTON-UNDER-REDCASTLE, a chapelry in the parish of Hodnet, Drayton division of North Bradford hundred, county Salop, 4 miles E. of Wem. It includes the hamlet of Wixhill."
- " WIXHILL, a hamlet in the chapelry of Weston-under-Redcastle, in the parish of Hodnet, Drayton division of North Bradford hundred, county Salop, 3 miles E. of Wem."
- " WOLLERTON, a township in the parish of Hodnet, county Salop, 4 miles S.W. of Market Drayton, on the river Tern."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hodnet to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hodnet has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ613286 (Lat/Lon: 52.853495, -2.576147), Hodnet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)