"HOLDGATE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 1 mile from Much Wenlock, its post town, and 9 N.E. of Ludlow. It is a small parish situated near the river Corve, and contains the townships of Bouldon and Brookhampton. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil consists of clay and sandstone, the subsoil partly quarry-stone. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £276, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, has a tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. The Rev. Henry Thursby is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Holdgate parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Holdgate parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " BOULDON, a township in the parish of Holdgate, and hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the N. of Ludlow."
- " BROOKHAMPTON, a township in the parish of Holdgate, hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the S.W. of Much Wenlock."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Holdgate to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Holdgate has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO562896 (Lat/Lon: 52.50253, -2.646678), Holdgate which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)